What FAC slots to apply for???

Delboysparky

A common question, but I have my FEO interview in a couple of days after 10 months of waiting.  

So what calibers to ask for ?  

Originally I asked for the following because the range could only handle these calibers:

3 x .22LR
1 x .17 HMR

Now the range has been upgraded and I am thinking:

1 x .22LR - Bolt Action
1 x .22LR - Semi
1 x .17HMR or .22 Hornet
1 x .223  (Any other suggestions? .243 or 6.5 has been suggested)

Moderators all round

What else to ask for and why?

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

Things may have changed since I shot on a range, but if target shooting is your ‘good reason’ then  can you not ask for them all? 

2 minutes ago, Delboysparky said:

That is my good reason until I can find some land. 

Pretty much, anything you shoot at the club, you can apply for. Not sure about your area but my FEO asked for our club rifle secretary, to confirm my saftey and experience with centre fire rifles, but once that was done, everything I asked for was granted.

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Pretty much, anything you shoot at the club, you can apply for. Not sure about your area but my FEO asked for our club rifle secretary, to confirm my saftey and experience with centre fire rifles, but once that was done, everything I asked for was granted.

Im guessing years of military firearms training and deployments will count for nothing in the scheme of things, but I will soon see.

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2017 at 19:51, Delboysparky said:

A common question, but I have my FEO interview in a couple of days after 10 months of waiting.  

So what calibers to ask for ?  

Originally I asked for the following because the range could only handle these calibers:

3 x .22LR
1 x .17 HMR

Now the range has been upgraded and I am thinking:

1 x .22LR - Bolt Action
1 x .22LR - Semi
1 x .17HMR or .22 Hornet
1 x .223  (Any other suggestions? .243 or 6.5 has been suggested)

Moderators all round

What else to ask for and why?

I hope you got on better than i did Del, i originally applied for .22lr x 3 and when the feo came to see me he would only let me have one!

Everyone i've told reckon that's unbelievable, i reckon it's very unfair. What's your thoughts on this?

9 hours ago, walshie said:

I don't think a 17hmr or 22 hornet is considered a "target calibre." Nor is a 243 come to think of it. Or they never used to be. See what the FEO says and go from there. 

I agree, but whilst I don't have a Hornet, EVERY rifle I have is conditioned for Target as well as field, that includes my HMR and .243.

I do recall the FEO making some comment at the time about HMR/Target when I first got one, but he was a serious idiot regardless of this. 

Solid ammo is the issue I believe, as expanding is not considered target ammo!

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

I agree, but whilst I don't have a Hornet, EVERY rifle I have is conditioned for Target as well as field, that includes my HMR and .243.

I do recall the FEO making some comment at the time about HMR/Target when I first got one, but he was a serious idiot regardless of this. 

Solid ammo is the issue I believe, as expanding is not considered target ammo!

Yeah mine are all conditioned for target as an extra condition over and above what I use them for. My point is I'm not sure they would initially grant those cals purely for target work.

On 03/12/2017 at 20:46, Delboysparky said:

Im guessing years of military firearms training and deployments will count for nothing in the scheme of things, but I will soon see.

if your only applying to shoot on a range then no if it was for use on land then all experience adds to the application.

have an ex forces armourer we know who was granted open ticket .22 and 308 on first application so it can make a difference.

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Yeah mine are all conditioned for target as an extra condition over and above what I use them for. My point is I'm not sure they would initially grant those cals purely for target work.

I agree, as I said, but I pushed my idiot FEO, a newbie may have an issue doing this and "I'm not sure they would initially grant those cals purely for target work" either.

The application/suggested application in post 1 does not look a convincingly TARGET application to me, it looks like a route to firearms, but what do I know?!   An upgrade in the range from apparently Rimfire to .243/6.5 is quite some upgrade as well?

.22 Semi, HMR, Hornet, .243 and even perhaps the 6.5 are not your most common Target calibres, add in First application and who knows?   May as well try, but just have answers ready if/when FEO/Region ask WHY these calibres for Target!

:good:

EDIT    Delboysparky   I am not trying to take this of course but........

If I think this, your FEO may well think the same, I am Secretary of my Rifle club and deal with a lot of FEO.   Apparently you have waited 10 months so far, are you a member of a Target Club, what do all the other members use?    Asking here what you should get seems rather odd?   Sorry, just my view!

Edited by Dekers

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:46, Delboysparky said:

As someone else mentioned, Military use tends to count for surprisingly little on the whole, but any firearms experience is generally worth mentioning.

1 hour ago, Delwint said:

Where can you get 100 rounds of .223 for £35? 

Ammozone UK has had 5.56 for that price in the recent past but I think their current stock is £40/100. They don't seem to have much stock of anything at the moment. We have bought Barnul for £27/100 not that long ago. I think that was from them

Several people, certainly Parabellum Consulting are selling Barnul for around £32/100

Edited by Vince Green

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2018 at 13:14, CharlieT said:

It is now 4 months since your post and your FEO visit......................how did you get on and what did you ask for? 

Apologies, haven't logged for a while been away quite a bit. 

Got my FAC now, I have a number of .22 LR and .17HMR on there, the FEO upped the ammo limits without asking so buying ammo was cheaper.