VW Golf upgrade

Salop Matt

Folks,

We have a MK5 1.9 (105bhp) 56plate TDI 5 door golf. But its a bit long in the tooth now and although we love it we think we need to be thinking of changing it in the new year.

We want another Golf but not sure on which engine to go for, Previously we have been doing 15k miles but due to change in the wife's job she`s doing less miles now so circa 10-12k miles PA.

Temptation is to move away from diesel and return to petrol and most trips will be 5 mile to work and 20mile to family each way.

But what engine should we be looking at?  

We want to keep the power or increase it.

We will be buying second had and circa £8/9k budget.

Ive seen the 1.4TSI engine on some listings at 120bhp but they seem to be holding strong money.

Any thoughts from fellow Golf owners ?

ATB

Matt

I've been thinking of changing my Golf, it's the 1.9tdi 130bhp estate. My problem is I love the economy, it's a good drive and it's so reliable. Newer diesels might not like short journeys and the few petrol cars I've tried seem gutless unless you're burying your foot in the carpet and revving the hell out of it. 

My OH has a 1.0l Toyota thingy which should be economical, it might be as a town car but a few long journeys lately have shown around 40mpg compared to the Golf doing 55-60mpg.

I'm getting more inclined to just run mine until it drops.

4 hours ago, Loki said:

Hi

Skoda or Seat (sportier) alternatives may be an option as they use the same 'parts bin', engines etc................

L

This.

I'm a long term VW nut, even have the tattoo :yes:

We have moved from VW to Seat, sitting inside and looking under the bonet (apart from badges)  its all VW/Audi and you get a lot more for your money. Not sure I would do skoda :hmm: I borrowed one of them Coupe Estelles in 1985 and I've been having counselling ever since. 

Edited by Me matt

I drive a 1.6tdi Mk7 Golf with DSG gearbox. The 1.6 is a great engine; its doing between 48 and 50mpg long term and can hit 60plus mpg on a run. 

Have a look at DSG too...its brilliant! 

My brother has just swapped his 64plate Audi A3 1.6 tdi Stronic for a 67 plate A3 but with the new 1.5TFSI STronic. He said yesterday its about 15mpg less economical.