Iceland (not shop)

jonny thomas

Buy booze at the duty free shop before going! Went fishing there back in July 2016. Cracking country sparsely populated, superb fishing. Incredible bird life, I could of caught snipe with my landing net they were so close to us.  As you are there in March, pack your thermals, boots etc. Blue Lagoon Spa was highly talked about, but we spent most of our time fishing, and we caught quite a few salmon.  

Cheers

Aled

We went a couple years back, it was awesome. Forget the cost and emerse in the experience. Take really warm clothes, lots of layers, good walking boots. Food is incredible if you're a foodie. We did some spectacular trips, no question of being put off by bad weather, everything has snow chains and ploughs are out soon as first flakes fall. They even build tall buildings with huge flood lights so nothing stops because darkness falls. Weather can change in an instance. Do the hot lake blue lagoon experience and the golden compass trip, if I remember correctly. Stunning semi frozen waterfall and a tomato farm! Believe me it's a great little place. The northern lights were our only disappointment, didn't see them, but that's the only thing not controlled by humans. We did an off road quad ride over the volcano fields ( driving them ourselves and no engine restrictions)... brilliant. Cram in us much as you can. It's been one of our best holidays.

Had five nights there in June a few years ago. We knew it would be expensive, and it certainly was pricey for pretty much everything. We had some wonderful food, and saw quite a lot of the island as we toured around a lot.

However, it was very much worth it, and I would like to go back in one autumn/winter when time/money permit.

Been a number of times wearing my travel agents hat,but each time in May or June. The capital is a youth magnet and as such attracts the usual city slickers (drunks) in the evening.The old Icelandic parliament is on the outskirts a short car ride i think its called Thingfellow or similar., there are some stunning water falls at Gullafoss and some incredible geysers. Pony tracking there is interesting as the stocky Icelandic ponies have the oddest gate and it is truely an asset not to have ridden before. They take you out for a 10 mile hike which when i went including 4 deep water fast flowing river crossings. I was sat on the ponies back up to my waist in water.... I think it was frighten the tourist time. Puffins are a local much loved  bird, mainly for the fact that they are considered a delicacy. I think it will be exceptionally cold but a dry cold in March.It will also get dark early.It is worth taking the small plane out to Surtsee a relatively  new still active volcano where you still see parts of buildings smouldering and it does pong a fair bit. If  you have a choice i would try to visit later than March as due to the weather you will possibly be stuck in the  very small city for the duration, with not a lot of distractions except the inland lake with all its attractive eider ducks. From Auntie.

Went last month and it was incredible

Hire a car to get the best experience, work around the golden circle. Lots of amazing waterfall, geysers, stunning sites, amazing plane wreck - it’s like no where you will ever go again. It’s super quiet on the roads but people congregate in the touristy bits of the golden circle. 

Do visit the blue lagoon, you will regret it if you miss it despite it being a tourist hotspot. We did it after five days on the road and it was heaven. 

We went this time of year as we wanted to see the Northern Lights and we did - three times, were amazing. It does get dark early (4.00) and light late (10.00) but we were fine with it. 

Accomodation is anything but cheap, it’s very common for people to sort it upon arrival at local guest houses. We didn’t have the balls for that so booked hotels but they are around £150/night. 

TLDR: go, it’s amazing, expensive, but worth it.