Sadiq Khan London Mayor

Walker570

One really does worry about the population in London. Firstly if they will vote for this man, secondly they support his wish now for London to have a separate deal.  Quoting that being sorted for Northern Ireland.  Correct me but the Irish issue IS rather a special case, of course this Khan chappie was probably still in diapers when we had 'The Troubles'. As with almost everything he is just poking his head above the mire.  

Edited by Walker570

To be fair I would be arguing for a special case or independent city state were i a Londoner. The financial sector makes huge amounts from europe and supports London plus half of the south. He only has to answer to his constituents and i reckon most of them gain overall from the EU. The rest of the country is in a more nuanced position, hence the vote overall to leave. 

We voted to leave in my area of London. My area is largely working class.

I'm an actual Londoner unlike most of London which is just a load of people from god knows where, calling themselves Londoners. Living in London does not make you a Londoner, being born in London makes you a Londoner. No matter where I decide to live, I will always class myself as a Londoner.

Some people in London no doubt benefit from the EU, but the working class Londoner certainly don't. There's loads of work in London, but it's mainly cheap EU labour doing it. Which drives down wages and the increased population drives the cost of living up.

There's a reason most parts of London vote Labour!

Edited by Newbie to this
Bad spelling

The issue with Ireland is that the DUP won't accept a deal that puts a border between them and the mainland UK, under any circumstances. Political suicide for the no surrender party so it's unlikely to happen, anything that looks to them like an equal footing with the Republic, looks like unification by the backdoor. No DUP Tory support and we're back to the polls by the spring, with brexit talks stalled. 

London, wales, NI and Scotland are more or less pro single market membership. The DUP are looking for parity with the UK. The answer then, is to remain in the single market and customs union. 

Personally I think there should be another vote on membership of the single market and, that would put it to bed.  

Is horrible, lying, self serving, scum!

Sorry I thought this thread was a game of finish the sentence!

1 minute ago, Uilleachan said:

The issue with Ireland is that the DUP won't accept a deal that puts a border between them and the mainland UK, under any circumstances. Political suicide for the no surrender party so it's unlikely to happen, anything that looks to them like an equal footing with the Republic, looks like unification by the backdoor. No DUP Tory support and we're back to the polls by the spring, with brexit talks stalled. 

London, wales, NI and Scotland are more or less pro single market membership. The DUP are looking for parity with the UK. The answer then, is to remain in the single market and customs union. 

Personally I think there should be another vote on membership of the single market and, that would put it to bed.  

Wales is certainly not pro single market, the powers that be maybe, but the actual people who vote certainly are not.

1 minute ago, Uilleachan said:

Ok and if that doesn't get the right result we could have another....and another.....and another until we get the right answer eh?

20 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Wales is certainly not pro single market, the powers that be maybe, but the actual people who vote certainly are not.

Abso-bloomin-lutely. :good:

Remainers seriously need to get over themselves and not make up figures to suit their agenda.

34 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

They'd better get themselves elected, as thats the noise coming out of Cardiff 

32 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Ok and if that doesn't get the right result we could have another....and another.....and another until we get the right answer eh?

Difficulty comprehending what I typed? I'm not talking about a rerun of the brexit vote, al a Libdems, the vote was had it's ancient history and the powers that are are mid leave negotiation. A vote on Single Market & Customs Union membership, in or out yes or no.  The brexit vote was won by a finite margin, the vote was leave and leaving we are. However there's no mandate to leave the SM&CU, and without the DUP May is toast and her administration with her. I believe the answer is single market membership. That shuts everyone up. 

Let's just treat this for what it is,  another remain lefty liberal, making a lot of noise about something that will never happen. Khan is an idiot if he thinks that the capital of England is going to get any special EU considerations.

I don’t understand why anybody voted YES to a Mayor of London in the first place, it's just another way of taxing London. 

25 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

Difficulty comprehending what I typed? I'm not talking about a rerun of the brexit vote, al a Libdems, the vote was had it's ancient history and the powers that are are mid leave negotiation. A vote on Single Market & Customs Union membership, in or out yes or no.  The brexit vote was won by a finite margin, the vote was leave and leaving we are. However there's no mandate to leave the SM&CU, and without the DUP May is toast and her administration with her. I believe the answer is single market membership. That shuts everyone up. 

For me It's not about remaining in the CU & SM yes or no! it's about the remainers such as Khan et al using such questions as a tactic to try to subvert the democratic decision to leave the EU, hoping that if they can stall things long enough, put in enough conditions and throw enough obstructions in the way of our exit........it may not happen at all!

13 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

We've already had a vote on it.

It took place on 23rd June 2016, and the majority of people in the UK voted to leave both the single market and customs union. 

The issue has been well and truly put to bed.

59 minutes ago, poontang said:

We've already had a vote on it.

It took place on 23rd June 2016, and the majority of people in the UK voted to leave both the single market and customs union. 

The issue has been well and truly put to bed.

You must have special news that the rest of us aren't privy to. 

14 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

The vote was to stay or leave. The trade and customs are part of that vote. Tge vote was to leave. So we have had the damn vote! Christ over a year on and people still dont get  what we voted for.. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

The vote was to stay or leave. The trade and customs are part of that vote. Tge vote was to leave. So we have had the damn vote! Christ over a year on and people still dont get  what we voted for.. 

I know. However. With no plan from the outset defining "brexit" and how it would look from the leavers side, why are you and others surprised that much of the interpretation is still contested? The lack of a plan was laughed off by many on the leave side at the time but now the chickens are coming home to roost. 

Khan, is representative of the devolved administration attitude generally, in that, if May can do deal for NI single market continuation she can do a likewise deal for the rest of the devolved administrations. 

A center ground Northern Irish unionist perspective on this, read the piece and some of the comments:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/04/how-brexit-is-destroying-nis-centre-ground-and-could-take-the-union-with-it/

The people writing and commenting on the piece aren't the nominal NI unionists that flocked for Irish passports in the weeks after the vote. 

It's the same with Scotland. The difference with Scotland is that Holyrood have already voted on and passed the legislation, to do it all again. 

The constitutional situation can be saved by the whole UK remaining in the single market. May is toast anyway it's cut, cliff edge brexit and hard border; the irish will veto the UK, irish sea border; the DUP withdraw their crucial 10 parliamentary votes , UK remaining in the single market; English hardline brexiteers blow a fuse and the Tory's engage in internecine party blood letting, and thats just over the Northern Ireland situation.  

Edited by Uilleachan

30 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

I know. However. With no plan from the outset defining "brexit" and how it would look from the leavers side, why are you and others surprised that much of the interpretation is still contested? The lack of a plan was laughed off by many on the leave side at the time but now the chickens are coming home to roost. 

Khan, is representative of the devolved administration attitude generally, in that, if May can do deal for NI single market continuation she can do a likewise deal for the rest of the devolved administrations. 

A center ground Northern Irish unionist perspective on this, read the piece and some of the comments:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/12/04/how-brexit-is-destroying-nis-centre-ground-and-could-take-the-union-with-it/

The people writing and commenting on the piece aren't the nominal NI unionists that flocked for Irish passports in the weeks after the vote. 

It's the same with Scotland. The difference with Scotland is that Holyrood have already voted on and passed the legislation, to do it all again. 

The constitutional situation can be saved by the whole UK remaining in the single market. May is toast anyway it's cut, cliff edge brexit and hard border; the irish will veto the UK, irish sea border; the DUP withdraw their crucial 10 parliamentary votes , UK remaining in the single market; English hardline brexiteers blow a fuse and the Tory's engage in internecine party blood letting, and thats just over the Northern Ireland situation.  

And then Corbyn! God have mercy, for surely Momentum will not.

17 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

The EU made it very clear from the outset, you cannot stay in the single market or customs union without free movement of people and ECJ jurisdiction.
And , if youre going to keep all that, we might as well just stay in ! I think not.
The painful grind that is the negotiations, is about tariff free trade, a thing that works better in the EU s favour, yet something they seem to want rather a lot of money for.

You say the vote was won by a finite margin?
So, what do we do, vote again until we have a bigger margin, or a reversal ?
I just count us lucky the vote is even being carried out, Greece, France and Hollands large majority votes got fully ignored, not to mention Irelands revote on the Lisbon treaty.

23 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

So part of leaving the EU is leaving the single market and the customs union. Its not much clearer than that 

I can't stop paying gym membership but still us the treadmill and spinning bikes but not have access to anything else.  

You can dress it up how ever you like, the vote was to leave. 

Yes good post, anyone trying to make it more complex than that is simply trying to muddy the waters and block brexit, we voted to leave.

Edited by 12gauge82