Shotgun + cartridge backpack

arm3000gt

Evening

Can anyone recommend or know of a good backpack type alternative to a gun slip. Currently I use a normal gun slip and a backpack to carry 250 cartridges, ear defs, gloves, jacket etc. Is there something out there that can carry it all with separate sections for gun, ammo, clothes etc. I don't want a trolley as I'd like to keep both hands free for carrying other things.

I'm thinking of buying a second hand walking pack, cutting a hole in the top bottom and sewing a gun slip inside.

I've google searched and found rifle bags but there doesn't look to be enough space for ammo. Does such a product I want exist that does not cost £300?

Thanks

Andy

Thanks, strange the amazon one didn't come up when I looked.  Do you have one? Not sure how well a shotgun would fit, the bag is only 20" that leaves nigh on 30" of shotgun waving about right at the back.

The us ebay one looks more suitable, I'll look to see if anyone sells in the uk.

Edited by arm3000gt
pressed submit by mistake

I have An Old Eberlestock operator  pack, caries the rifle central barrel down.

I like the Eberlestock packs well made not the cheapest but used mine hard 10 years still like new.

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/tactical-packs?CatListingOffset=24&Offset=24&Per_Page=12&Sort_By=price_asc

they do several different types the Euro pack  intrigues me in the hunting packs.

.http://www.eberlestock.com/store/hunting-packs

The main site.

http://www.eberlestock.com/

This could be adapted for use with a normal gunslip.

http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/productspage1.html

Edited by Fen tiger

Thanks Fen Tiger. I found them on a couple of uk websites but the cost as you say is quite a lot.

wymberly even MoD drags bags are quite expensive and as you say most are too short for a shotgun. Though there are a few that will fit 50" guns.

I've just bought a used one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Military-Molle-Hunting-Extendable-Full-Gear-Rifle-Gun-Backpack-Bag-Tan/311704130385?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3Daba69b1e1e9e45db84fb363d6eb8b6a0%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232586826322&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985 

It is a little too short but for the price I'll don't mind modifying it so it fits better. If it is no good I can just carry on using what I use now. With luck I should have it by the weekend and I'll give a little write up.

1 hour ago, arm3000gt said:

Thanks Fen Tiger. I found them on a couple of uk websites but the cost as you say is quite a lot.

wymberly even MoD drags bags are quite expensive and as you say most are too short for a shotgun. Though there are a few that will fit 50" guns.

I've just bought a used one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Military-Molle-Hunting-Extendable-Full-Gear-Rifle-Gun-Backpack-Bag-Tan/311704130385?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3Daba69b1e1e9e45db84fb363d6eb8b6a0%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232586826322&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985 

It is a little too short but for the price I'll don't mind modifying it so it fits better. If it is no good I can just carry on using what I use now. With luck I should have it by the weekend and I'll give a little write up.

Sorry, my fault - can I plead another senior moment. I Googled ex WD which threw up various alternatives but then promptly wrote ex MoD. Yep, as you say, not cheap. Provide you don't use a self loader, with some former of protection what you have could well be idal if you were to break down a SbS or OU. Good post from Thepasty though.

Evening

My pack arrived and it is a 9.11 tactical backpack not the one I linked in my original post.  It appears to be reasonably well constructed and didn't feel to bad. The padding on the back isn't the thickest but felt fine with just a t-shirt on. 

[
WP_20171211_004.jpg

WP_20171211_001.jpg

There are a few reviews on the internet and youtube for this bag so you can look them up. The large rear compartment can easily hold 250 cartridges with space for a jacket/jumper on top.

Each side has two pockets. One large pocket with a Velcro fastener, that can take a a 1.5 litre bottle of water with space around the sides, so probably take 2 litre. The smaller pocket under neath is elasticated approx. 150mm/6" x 140mm/5.5" wide. This would be ideal for a light rain jacket or waterproof trousers tightly rolled up. 

WP_20171211_005.jpg

The bag itself is 600mm/2' x 300mm/1' when the bottom flap is clipped up extension hood not on. With bottom flap down and the hood on it can accommodate (just) a total length of 1170mm/46". The gun compartment is quite large, so could probably do with a bit of sponge to stop the gun sliding side to side when traversing obstacles etc.

WP_20171211_003.jpg
WP_20171211_002.jpg

Finally there is a small top pocket that could be used to store things like food etc. Caution would need to be taken though. There are two zips, one opens to give access to the top carry  handle. This leaves the top pocket open so things could fall out.

All in all it seems to be a good bag.I'll update when I have more time and taken it out for a walk.

Thanks

Edited by arm3000gt
pictures all messedup

with the potential of rough and tumble I think I would prefer a broken down shotgun pack with sturdy protection like poly light weight but strong, even a semi can be broken down to help with the lengh of the pack

A slab is quite a heavy thing to carry any distance unless your a bootnick

16 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Evening

My pack arrived and it is a 9.11 tactical backpack not the one I linked in my original post.  It appears to be reasonably well constructed and didn't feel to bad. The padding on the back isn't the thickest but felt fine with just a t-shirt on. 

[
WP_20171211_004.jpg

WP_20171211_001.jpg

There are a few reviews on the internet and youtube for this bag so you can look them up. The large rear compartment can easily hold 250 cartridges with space for a jacket/jumper on top.

Each side has two pockets. One large pocket with a Velcro fastener, that can take a a 1.5 litre bottle of water with space around the sides, so probably take 2 litre. The smaller pocket under neath is elasticated approx. 150mm/6" x 140mm/5.5" wide. This would be ideal for a light rain jacket or waterproof trousers tightly rolled up. 

WP_20171211_005.jpg

The bag itself is 600mm/2' x 300mm/1' when the bottom flap is clipped up extension hood not on. With bottom flap down and the hood on it can accommodate (just) a total length of 1170mm/46". The gun compartment is quite large, so could probably do with a bit of sponge to stop the gun sliding side to side when traversing obstacles etc.

WP_20171211_003.jpg
WP_20171211_002.jpg

Finally there is a small top pocket that could be used to store things like food etc. Caution would need to be taken though. There are two zips, one opens to give access to the top carry  handle. This leaves the top pocket open so things could fall out.

All in all it seems to be a good bag.I'll update when I have more time and taken it out for a walk.

Thanks

Looks good a lot cheaper than the Eberlestock packs.:good:

• 1 month later...

Evening

Just a quick update. I've been out twice with the backpack loaded with 300 cartridges and supernova. Despite most of the weight being quite far from the body I didn't find it uncomfortable. The shoulder straps were comfy no obvious digging in etc. Walked approx 3/4 of a mile in one go and various short distances throughout a 4 hour period with 3/4 mile walk back. 

One downside I've managed to break the zip for the top pocket :( . The top handle pulls through this area so I guess that is the reason. I'll try and fashion a repair but the bag is relatively cheaply made, putting about 15+ kg in it is beyond it's capabilities. For the price I'm still happy and will continue to use it. Hope this is of use to someone.