What's the most expensive gun you shot with?

DanBettin

£600 Miroku over and under 3800S .   Bought it second hand 35 years ago.   Thought it was a fortune - And it was at the time.   Still have it and wouldn't part with it

Always bought second hand.   A gun is a tube or tubes with a handle.   It fires straight if it fits you.   If it does then keep it.   

Did fire my mates Holland and Hollands at clays once.   He won a matched pair of brand new ones in a raffle.   £75,000 quid the pair.

2 hours ago, Grandalf said:

£600 Miroku over and under 3800S .   Bought it second hand 35 years ago.   Thought it was a fortune - And it was at the time.   Still have it and wouldn't part with it

Always bought second hand.   A gun is a tube or tubes with a handle.   It fires straight if it fits you.   If it does then keep it.   

Did fire my mates Holland and Hollands at clays once.   He won a matched pair of brand new ones in a raffle.   £75,000 quid the pair.

He kept them to shoot rather than flogging them! I think he scores maximum point for that!

At the end of the day its all perceived value in most things, Are old masters better that todays best artists, or is   Jaguar V12 worse than a Ferrari V12 of the same age

If you are very rich a £200 a head meal is something you can buy and enjoy or a boss or Rolls Royce, you cannot spend all your money naturally to just live o,n so you buy high priced items which have a perceived value because you can, but nobody really knows what is the best

The big question is are perceived values really worth the money, are they really built that much better and who are the valuer's, is a unmade bed worth thousands of pounds or a con by mugs

9 hours ago, ChrisAsh said:

At the end of the day its all perceived value in most things, Are old masters better that todays best artists, or is   Jaguar V12 worse than a Ferrari V12 of the same age

If you are very rich a £200 a head meal is something you can buy and enjoy or a boss or Rolls Royce, you cannot spend all your money naturally to just live o,n so you buy high priced items which have a perceived value because you can, but nobody really knows what is the best

The big question is are perceived values really worth the money, are they really built that much better and who are the valuer's, is a unmade bed worth thousands of pounds or a con by mugs

I like how down to earth your point is, and I really hate pretentiousness, but I think there definitely are things whereby 'you get what you pay for' applies. Either way, was just wondering out of curiosity, I don't believe the more you pay for a gun the better it is or the better you'll shoot with it at all.

I fired a Vickers machine gun in the states a while back, was a museum piece and was probably worth an absolute fortune. I did not think at the time about it’s financial value but felt privileged to have experienced the event. I have often thought that it would be interesting to gather the top shots in the country and give them all an old Baikal for a round of clays. I’m guessing that the scores would still put most of us to shame!

I recall a practical match a few years back where as you entered one of the stages, your “race” gun was taken and you were handed an old side by side clunker. The top shots still came out on top, just moaned more, but it was a great equaliser and great fun too!

probably beretta SO5

could have shot something worth more but cant remember. I once handled a purdey, it was early 80s before cabinets were required and my then girlfriends dad kept it propped up in the corner of the kitchen (old farmhouse) presumably as a warning to keep my mitts off his daughter......it didn't work ?

happy days she was a stunner one of those early 80s rock chicks with leather biker jacket and those spray on satin pants....yum. Anyone over fifty will know the look.

sorry I digressed ?

I have looked at , and handled some lovely guns while standing with the guns on there pegs , but I would say one of the nicest and possibly the most expensive gun I have shot with was a James Woodward + Sons , sidelock ejector , this was one of my governors guns and he lent me it to try and teach his sisters boy to shoot ( without success ) , when he hinted one day what I would like as a retirement present , I smiled and mentioned the J Woodward , I don't think he was listening because I never did get it :lol:

The two most expensive guns I have shot have been possibly the most horrible to shoot, A Blaser F3 something and a Kemen Silver bling thing. The worst of the two was the Blaser, felt nice handling it but shooting it felt horrid , it had a custom pistol grip that was nice and Muller chokes. I expected great things when I shot the F3 but I shot terrible and was happy to have my B525 and Teagues back, the felt recoil in the F3 was like shooting a pogo stick am sure I perceived the barrels ripple as the shot went down the barrel which was most off putting.

I am astonished to hear your experience with the Blaser F3, Salop Sniper. Barrels rippling? Pogo Stick? Gosh, how I would like to compare that example with my own which exhibits neither characteristic.

Most expensive gun I've shot with? Well the F3 mentioned above is represents the most I have actually spent on a gun, and I would spend the same again on the same gun if it were in some way destroyed or stolen. The "poshest" I suppose is a Boss sidelock ejector. But the most valuable is a Joseph Manton side by side flintlock. That's "valuable" in my own terms rather than simple cash value, of course!

Edited by CharlesP
Forgot a bit...

Charles, I had been admiring that gun at the ground for a few weeks. When i was offered a few clays with it i was really pleased and when i picked the gun up i was real impressed, it shoulderd nice and felt nicely balenced, the stock was great with a lovely grip that fitted my hand great. I dropped the cartridges in closed the gun and thought how great it all felt and the icing on the cake would be two nice breaks.......and i would then lust for one of my own.

As i say...thats when the magic, charm and great feeling dissaperaed. As soon as pulled the trigger, I was gutted and sad, the very last thing i expected. 

Regards

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see/shoot a Damascus Purdey o/u Welshwarrior. 

Most expensive I have shot were some of the Millennium double rifles built by H&H for an American collector. The engraving cost as much as the guns themselves. (Brown Bros)

Each gun number was MM plus it's calibre. 

Also shot a trio of William and Sons. Absolutely beautiful.