New Defender 'spotted'...

WinchesterDave

If that is the new Defender they have cocked it right up. 

Who is going to buy another clone of the Range Rover sport. Seen one of the velar things the other day it looked like a rr sport version of a evoke all chopped slants roofed long looking thing. Bloody awful. 

They keep creating versions of the car with no market for them. Who looks at a RR sport and thinks hmm no I won’t buy one much too tall but if the chopped the roofline and cut the headroom inside I’d buy it. 

On 06/12/2017 at 12:28, figgy said:

If that is the new Defender they have cocked it right up. 

Who is going to buy another clone of the Range Rover sport. Seen one of the velar things the other day it looked like a rr sport version of a evoke all chopped slants roofed long looking thing. Bloody awful. 

They keep creating versions of the car with no market for them. Who looks at a RR sport and thinks hmm no I won’t buy one much too tall but if the chopped the roofline and cut the headroom inside I’d buy it. 

Agreed... all too similar now! Even the new Disco:/ no personality...

If they get the defender right it will be the only choice in the market for a lot of people. It needs to be utilitarian without being uncomfortable, the styling needs to be masculine, and not girly, like virtually all 4wd cars now, and it needs to be capable. If it isn't properly capable, without being fragile, it will fail on every level. Solid axles front and rear would be a good start, though unlikely. A proper chassis would be a good move too. Be interesting to see how much of the design is bean counter lead and how much is understanding the Defender's role in the market.

On 07/12/2017 at 20:24, Tim Kelly said:

If they get the defender right it will be the only choice in the market for a lot of people. It needs to be utilitarian without being uncomfortable, the styling needs to be masculine, and not girly, like virtually all 4wd cars now, and it needs to be capable. If it isn't properly capable, without being fragile, it will fail on every level. Solid axles front and rear would be a good start, though unlikely. A proper chassis would be a good move too. Be interesting to see how much of the design is bean counter lead and how much is understanding the Defender's role in the market.

I suspect independant suspension and a monocoque chassis. 

I have read they're expanding the Defender range to both utility as well as a range of vehicles that will appeal to folk who wish to have one as a car.. 

I think that the Defender will be replacing the Discovery 4...

Dave

Edited by WinchesterDave

• 3 weeks later...

Really hoping it will have solid axles and front and rear diff locks. It should be an offroad vehicle that can also go on the road rather than vice versa.

The defender is a car that's been crying out for progressive development, like jeep did with the wrangler. It's changed, but it's still recognisable as a Jeep.

On 07/01/2018 at 10:26, figgy said:

looking at the marketing and direction landrover have gone in the last five years i think its going to be another lifestyle vehicle along the lines of the rest of the line up.

Nailed it ?I love landrovers but looking at them now... nope ? the disco looks lop sided and out of proportion, ugly things