mobile phone wildfowling

Gerry78

Went fowling on sat as i was crossing a flooded creek i fell and dislocated my hip really bad the pain was unbearable after calling for help i was able to get my phone out of my pocket and ring the emergency services The air ambulance was able to locate me and get me to hospital just wanted to post that phones essential out fowling My big lab stayed with me barking so the ambulance crew on the ground were able to get to me so Mans best friend worth hes weight in gold My season is over as im on crutches Just be carefull forum out on the marsh or loughs

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Went fowling on sat as i was crossing a flooded creek i fell and dislocated my hip really bad the pain was unbearable after calling for help i was able to get my phone out of my pocket and ring the emergency services The air ambulance was able to locate me and get me to hospital just wanted to post that phones essential out fowling My big lab stayed with me barking so the ambulance crew on the ground were able to get to me so Mans best friend worth hes weight in gold My season is over as im on crutches Just be carefull forum out on the marsh or loughs

good point fella, i wonder if there is a flare cartridge for a 12 bore or just carry a small hand flare or two, speedy recovery..:good:

Bad enough Gerry but it could have been a lot worse and I hope you are soon back to your old self with no long lasting affects .

We collect for the air ambulance on our beaters day , worth there weight in gold if there ever needed . Good luck and take it easy.

Thanks Lads dosen't bare thinking about if i had no phone with me the paramedics on the ground and the air ambulance were fantastic really done a great job keeping me calm and lifting me of the ground My Big lab was barking and licking my face as i passed out with the pain So owe him a great deal My seasons over now but glad im here to post this message regards safety so thanks again:good:

17 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanks Lads dosen't bare thinking about if i had no phone with me the paramedics on the ground and the air ambulance were fantastic really done a great job keeping me calm and lifting me of the ground My Big lab was barking and licking my face as i passed out with the pain So owe him a great deal My seasons over now but glad im here to post this message regards safety so thanks again:good:

Really sorry to hear about this and glad you will make a full recovery.

Also makes me proud to have a service like the Air Ambulance and RNLI in the uk....

What a dog .. out of interest what happened to your dog when you were lifted away?

atb 

Terry

Terry a gang of fowlers who shoot the club im in arrived  when they seen the helicopter they took my gun dog and van home for me rang the wife informed her i was ok So the brotherhood of duck men done a great job Mates who shoot pheasants like to remind me that wildfowlers are weird loners lol but that accident proved we stick by each other WE maybe classed as extreme shooters shooting wild places but theres a great bond amongst us all over the UK mate thanks for your reply buddy

On 6 December 2017 at 17:49, Gerry78 said:

Terry a gang of fowlers who shoot the club im in arrived  when they seen the helicopter they took my gun dog and van home for me rang the wife informed her i was ok So the brotherhood of duck men done a great job Mates who shoot pheasants like to remind me that wildfowlers are weird loners lol but that accident proved we stick by each other WE maybe classed as extreme shooters shooting wild places but theres a great bond amongst us all over the UK mate thanks for your reply buddy

Gerry that is Brilliant !  ... yeah that is true i suppose we are loners lol ... the real stuff happens the other side of the wall... some think we are mad .. but at certain times theres no better place... and when it comes to it we all pull together.. 

atb

Terry

Pleased your phone got you out of a pickle.

Personally l never take a mobile fowling or fishing, managed perfectly well for decades before they were invented.

If l meet my end on the river or shore so be it. Would rather go that way that fade away in a nursing home which is what have spent the last year or so watching my mother do. Not for me. 

19 hours ago, grahamch said:

Pleased your phone got you out of a pickle.

Personally l never take a mobile fowling or fishing, managed perfectly well for decades before they were invented.

If l meet my end on the river or shore so be it. Would rather go that way that fade away in a nursing home which is what have spent the last year or so watching my mother do. Not for me. 

My thoughts on mobile phones was the same as you , then my last few years at work before retirement I had to carry a mobile as part of the estates policy for all employees and more so the ones who work in exposed places. I didn't use it that much but it didn't take up much room in my pocket and in an emergency it could easily be a life saver , not only for yourself but anyone else in trouble .

Now I have reached 70,  the phone is not only a lifeline for me it also gives my wife peace of mind when I am down the marsh at night or pigeon shooting in isolated places .

Up to now I haven't used it in an emergency but the day might come where it not only save my life but also somebody else who is in serious trouble .

Cheers marshman i personally dont like phones myself but im glad i had one on me

Hi Gerry .... I hope you are beginning to see an improvement with your leg problem , at the moment it is pouring it down with heavy rain so on days like today I don't mind doing the same as you, taking it a bit easy .

As for the Air Ambulance , as part of our health and safety ruling , in our beaters and guns wagons we have to have a list of map references of the different locations we go to in case we need to call the A / A in a situation where the land ambulance couldn't reach us  , another reason we have to carry a mobile phone .