Before shooting steel in your guns

Harnser

Some mixed opinion. Those who are adamant that steel wrecks barrels and those who say it is safe. However, they do emphasise that the steel shot must be enclosed in the plastic wad. The majority are against using steel shot.

Over many years of shooting and umpteen thousands of shells, I have come across a number of wads which were badly inserted. It would only take one poor wad and barrels would be ruined.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Some mixed opinion. Those who are adamant that steel wrecks barrels and those who say it is safe. However, they do emphasise that the steel shot must be enclosed in the plastic wad. The majority are against using steel shot.

Over many years of shooting and umpteen thousands of shells, I have come across a number of wads which were badly inserted. It would only take one poor wad and barrels would be ruined.

My point exactly . One rogue  pellet and a gun ruined . Is it worth the risk .  It's your call .

harnser

5 minutes ago, motty said:

I did. I found little to worry about.

Just to add - even if a pellet scores the barrels, how will that mean the gun is ruined?

I'd give up mate. :yes:

As you can lead a ? to Water etc also Lead Nickel coated Lead Bismuth TSS PWS HW13 can/ will damage barrels breeches etc But some are blinked and don't want to listen to reason :no:

The Yanks started using steel in the early seventies nearly 50 years of successful use, they laugh there socks  off at some of our discussion threads on it .Steel is briliant and in a lot of ways much much better than lead .Keep your heads in the sand and hopefully the price will stay down (popularity may encourage some manufacturers to put prices up )

56 minutes ago, motty said:

I did. I found little to worry about.

Just to add - even if a pellet scores the barrels, how will that mean the gun is ruined?

It will put the gun out of proof and would not look very nice if you wanted to sell it .  The scores that I saw in the damaged guns were as deep as half the thickness of the pellet that damaged it ,totally ruined .

harnser

17 minutes ago, Harnser said:

It will put the gun out of proof and would not look very nice if you wanted to sell it .  The scores that I saw in the damaged guns were as deep as half the thickness of the pellet that damaged it ,totally ruined .

harnser

Did you ever shot steel cartridges 

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

harnser

So you personally saw that the shot was Steel  !!!! The size of the shot !!!! The barrels was clean then the gun loaded and the cartridges fired then inspected the barrels damage !!!!! 

Or are you relating another person's story's of events.

Harnser,

I don`t know if you actually saw the damaged barrels in the flesh so to speak, or whether you saw a much vaunted photo that purports to be of a section of gun barrel damaged by steel shot.

In my opinion, and that of many others, and for reasons I`ll explain if you are referring to this photo, it is widely believed to be a fake. In short, it is`nt a section of gun barrel and it wasn`t damaged by steel shot.

I`ve fired thousands of steel cartridges and my barrels don`t have a mark on them. I think your concerns are unfounded.

For 9 years now whe can only use non toxic...

Only know of 1 problem...

The guy in the shop selling a wrong choke for a berettaits result in a problem...

I have seen the same with lead...

Mud in the barrel resul  the barrel exploded.

A wad that has stuck in the barrel...result the barrel has exploded

Snow in the barrel...result the barrel has exploded..

My point... i have seen 4 barrels with problems 3 with lead and 1 with steel and the steel problem was the fault of gunsmith 

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/buy-gun-guide/gunsmiths-report-increase-in-shotguns-ruined-by-steel-shot-2-21604

Worth a read,

My O/U is steel proofed and the manual says to use no tighter choke than 1/2. But I only shoot clays and use lead shot, I would run steel through mine but would follow the manual's instructions.

Edited by Newbie to this

I shoot steel but only through my semi auto as it has hard chrome lined barrels it offers some protection to and contact with steel shot. 

I have a fired wad I picked up on a flight that I had fired and looked at it this morning, it has some holes near the base of the petals with fine pinholeing further up the wad. Whether this happens upon firing and set back as the load moves or as it runs up the barrel through forcing cones due to friction or at the choke I don’t know. Also how much pressure the contact makes with the barrel wall it could be very little or a fair bit. I’ve not seen any damage to my barrel due this pin holeing yet. 

I wouldn’t fire any hard shot through a gun I cherish that’s not chromed just in case. 

Witch hunt..
My OU is marked with Fleur de Lys stamp. Chokes are also marked "FOR STEEL SHOT" and "NOT FOR STEEL SHOT". If this gun gets damaged from steel shot whilst using manufacturer recommended chokes I would simply return it as it is unfit for purpose.

Some guns will handle steel just fine,as long as it is not the high performance kind, but I'm sure everyone is aware of that.

Shooting high performance steel from an unsuitable gun with a tight choke and then complaining is the same as putting high octane fuel in an old banger and then shouting that the valves got damaged..

44 minutes ago, Grange1905 said:

Witch hunt..
My OU is marked with Fleur de Lys stamp. Chokes are also marked "FOR STEEL SHOT" and "NOT FOR STEEL SHOT". If this gun gets damaged from steel shot whilst using manufacturer recommended chokes I would simply return it as it is unfit for purpose.

Some guns will handle steel just fine,as long as it is not the high performance kind, but I'm sure everyone is aware of that.

Shooting high performance steel from an unsuitable gun with a tight choke and then complaining is the same as putting high octane fuel in an old banger and then shouting that the valves got damaged..

I think you missed the op's point. He is questioning the suitability of steel shot in ANY gun.

4 hours ago, Gunman said:

Lets just say that I have seen several guns with barrels damaged with steel shot,including a 3&1/2" magnum steel shot proofed O/U as well as singles and a Miroku 

As already been posted Lead also has/will cause damage BUT most damage done is because of operators errors not because of type of Shooting material.

I'm sure you must be aware of the bad press by some of the .17HMR well I've shot thousands of rounds never had a problem But ........ .

I've used lots of steel and so have my Danish friends and never had a problem, however my local RFD wont sell steel anymore as one EELL was scored badly after using it. Whether its true or not who knows but I use it often in cheap guns (> £1000) and wouldnt personally use in  a nice B25 etc but thats my choice and no doubt itd be fine.

16 hours ago, figgy said:

It only takes a bad loaded cartridge or dodgy batch of wads and the steel shot could contact the barrel and damage it, steel shot proof don't mean its impervious to damage from shot contact,only that it passed a higher pressure test at proof.

Absolutely true.  Passing proof means that a gun has stood up to a proof firing at that particular time and is no guarantee that damage will not occure to a gun with subsequent firing . Many think that the proof firing of guns can in fact weaken them .

harnser

6 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Absolutely true.  Passing proof means that a gun has stood up to a proof firing at that particular time and is no guarantee that damage will not occure to a gun with subsequent firing . Many think that the proof firing of guns can in fact weaken them .

harnser

Usually the opposite is true,the more a barrel is fired the more pressure they can take. cannons were a prime example,on firing the metal expands and bounces back  like elastic each time it happens the structure alters slightly getting stronger. older cannons could fire larger charges than new ones.

29 minutes ago, figgy said:

Usually the opposite is true,the more a barrel is fired the more pressure they can take. cannons were a prime example,on firing the metal expands and bounces back  like elastic each time it happens the structure alters slightly getting stronger. older cannons could fire larger charges than new ones.

I have heard that said before - and discussed it with a shooting friend who was a metallurgist.  His view was that;

1. Repeated 'stressing' of a metal article below a certain limit may have a very small strengthening effect.
  2. Repeated stressing of a metal article above a certain limit will weaken it by stretching (even if not visibly) and can 'work harden' certain metals making them brittle.

My view on steel is that I have never used it and won't in my old guns (there are few suitable cartridges for 2 1/2" chambers anyway.  On the very rare occasions I need non toxic, I have used one of the very expensive alternatives in a 2 3/4" chambered AyA.  The risk of damage to something I value is (though realistically very small) is still too too great - not through over pressure, but a badly fitted wad allowing pellet to barrel contact. 

IF legislation forces me to use steel at some stage in the future - I will buy a cheap gun for that purpose.