Before shooting steel in your guns

Harnser

On 12/6/2017 at 13:31, holloway said:

The Yanks started using steel in the early seventies nearly 50 years of successful use, they laugh there socks  off at some of our discussion threads on it .Steel is briliant and in a lot of ways much much better than lead .Keep your heads in the sand and hopefully the price will stay down (popularity may encourage some manufacturers to put prices up )

True but there are cartridges and American cartridges there is a difference .

On 12/17/2017 at 17:17, lancer425 said:

i do not understand why American cartridges make any difference . What is the relevance here please?.

Go out and pay real money for some Remington or Federal's . Not the cheap budget cut to the wire stuff sold  in the UK . You will see the difference , Better "brass" , heavier cases and better quality shot cups .

4 hours ago, Gunman said:

Go out and pay real money for some Remington or Federal's . Not the cheap budget cut to the wire stuff sold  in the UK . You will see the difference , Better "brass" , heavier cases and better quality shot cups .

Remington use type 6 cases in nitros and the black version in sportsman ammo. Sts hulls are not typical in steel nitro turkey loads did use them but not any advantage to steel loading.   Remington nitros do use a green Remington wad which is well made  but no more than RSI wads or even B&P wads used by Kent Gamebore  Jaguar.

Now federal use the maroon fed cases in the premier steel, but blue box federal is what the Americans call multi hulls, these are Chedite cases . Federal wads are versions of pattern drivers in pink blue and cream versions any TPS or . multimetal is as strong a wad as these. 

Sorry i do not see anything the Americans are  doing which gives any added gun protection, in fact the hypersonic ammo they make is higher pressure than anything available here from a firm.

our cartridge makers are playing the safe side on steel but reloaders are getting higher pressure faster steel and not getting damage if loaded on or close to pressure limits. 

IVE put steel carts 3Inch and 2 3/4 carts through A AYA Magnum side by side made in 1979 theres not a mark or scratch on the inside of the barrels or chambers i dont like steel personally but all this talk about damage shotguns is just bull Im sick listening to all these gun experts on videos and social media scaring shooters

2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

IVE put steel carts 3Inch and 2 3/4 carts through A AYA Magnum side by side made in 1979 theres not a mark or scratch on the inside of the barrels or chambers i dont like steel personally but all this talk about damage shotguns is just bull Im sick listening to all these gun experts on videos and social media scaring shooters

My old AYA no 3 Mag had another 2 R/L at Greylag along with 5 Widgeon 2 Teal with the Naughty Gun Wrecking steel shot cartridges which i loaded :ninja:

Keep knocking em down Gerry have a Merry Christmas :good: