Camera opinions

winnie&bezza

As has been said, any Canon EOS DSLR with 4 or 3 digit numbers will be brilliant. Its what i started on. 

You should be able to get a good bundle deal on Canons new begginer DSLR; 1300D. 

Need any help drop me a pm:good:

Dave

Edit - canon also make really handy, well made apps for their cameras for both iOS and Android.  There should be one for the 1300D; basic functions and operations and tutorials for the basics of photography. I used one for the 1200D when I started. 

Edited by WinchesterDave

Just now, steve d said:

I would go for a decent bridge camera if shes not at the david bailey stage yet.

Purely for the fact that you wont need loads of lenses to get the best out of it, its lighter, smaller and easier to use and they take very good images.

I agree, there are some great  cameras for that sort of money.
I hate having to wear one round my neck.

2 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

As has been said, any Canon EOS DSLR with 4 or 3 digit numbers will be brilliant. Its what i started on. 

You should be able to get a good bundle deal on Canons new begginer DSLR; 1300D. 

Need any help drop me a pm:good:

Dave

Edit - canon also make really handy, well made apps for their cameras for both iOS and Android.  There should be one for the 1300D; basic functions and operations and tutorials for the basics of photography. I used one for the 1200D when I started. 

Thanks for the offer mate.

Thanks all for help. Now do I go to a camera shop to look for a second hand one or online? 

51 minutes ago, A-Series said:

One thing I always remember is a tutor of mine saying ‘you can’t buy creativity’ what you point the lense at matters more! I’ve seen some excellent work, both film and photo, shot on phone cameras.

That said, good equipment is very useful.

Very true.

On eBay, 400D are really cheap! Should I be wary?

4 hours ago, A-Series said:

One thing I always remember is a tutor of mine saying ‘you can’t buy creativity’ what you point the lense at matters more! I’ve seen some excellent work, both film and photo, shot on phone cameras.

That said, good equipment is very useful.

Film on a phone?;)

A bridge camera , no having to carry all those expensive lenses and associated filters etc.
These are great little cameras, and in the right hands will give you fantastic pictures.If you look around they are for sale for approx £260

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-powershot-sx60-hs/9543B009/?nav=cameras%2Ccompactdigitalcameras%2Cbridgecameras

5 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Very true.

On eBay, 400D are really cheap! Should I be wary?

The 400d is an old model mate! It depends how old you want to go? 

If youre looking at second hand cameras get a newer model... have a look at the EOS 100D and EOS 1200D. Thats my advice purely down to the fact they are newer models with newer tech and sensors and will be well within your budget. 

The EOS 100D was canons smallest DSLR on sale so may suit your wife. It has been replaced by the 200d now i believe so you may get a good deal. 

Obviously buy what youre happy with but if it was my money with a budget like yours I know what id be buying. 

As has been said... any camera can take a picture its the photographer that makes the difference. If your Mrs is keen on taking good quality pictures i'd get the best I could get in the budget and for your budget you will get a really good body and lens combo. 

Atb 

Dave 

12 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Morning all, 

Her indoors wants a nice camera for Xmas so I’m calling out to all the snappers on here. What camera would be best for about £250-300? Easy to use etc etc.

cheers 

What does she want to take photo's of, and is it likely to be an ongoing hobby/interest or just something to use for 'snapshots' when out?

No one camera will cover 'all things for all people' so it's important to decide which route she wants to take before shelling out your hard earned cash.

I used to use 35mm SLR years ago and bought a bridge camera to enter into the digital arena. It's a Nikon Coolpix L310, I bought it about 5 years ago so it has obviously been superseded. Unless you are going to enter the semi professional arena or take it up as a serious hobby then I would suggest that a bridge camera would easily fulfil the needs of most people.

2 hours ago, fister said:

I bought my first DSLR back in 2011 and although I don’t use it much for work any more, having made two further upgrades with the same brand, I keep it and value it as probably the most valuable tool I have ever bought. It has brought out creativity I never knew I had, taught me skills I never imagined and earned me more money than any riflescope ever did though costing a fraction of what I have spent on them? I went on a press hunting trip last month and was told cameras were not needed as official photographer had been hired to capture the event. He strode around with very gucci kit i’d love to have owned for 4 days and in the end, took some technically superb yet utterly useless and lifeless shots for a library of zero worth. Thank goodness I tool my own. As was said before, dont get too overwhelemed bu the features and facilities, buy a camera you can afford to use, carry everywhere and not abuse, but at least accept will get a bit of life on the lens as well as through it. I have always stayed with a specific brand and funnily enough, it’s the same my Dad always Chose too. I’d buy a base level DSLR, you will soon see what you do and dont want in a camera for a more informed sexond purchase as technology continues to advance. The effective film speeds available in the dslrs as you pay more and more get crazy and make new ideas possible in poor light and high speeds but one factor I will never get beyond is that for a shooter, an eye to and eypiece is always faster and more accurately pointable than a rear screen. As for mirrorless, yes it’s the future but not quite ‘yet’.

Thanks. Mirror less ?! Far beyond me

2 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

The 400d is an old model mate! It depends how old you want to go? 

If youre looking at second hand cameras get a newer model... have a look at the EOS 100D and EOS 1200D. Thats my advice purely down to the fact they are newer models with newer tech and sensors and will be well within your budget. 

The EOS 100D was canons smallest DSLR on sale so may suit your wife. It has been replaced by the 200d now i believe so you may get a good deal. 

Obviously buy what youre happy with but if it was my money with a budget like yours I know what id be buying. 

As has been said... any camera can take a picture its the photographer that makes the difference. If your Mrs is keen on taking good quality pictures i'd get the best I could get in the budget and for your budget you will get a really good body and lens combo. 

Atb 

Dave 

Don’t know really mate but I suppose as newer as possible really. Cheers 

1 hour ago, poontang said:

What does she want to take photo's of, and is it likely to be an ongoing hobby/interest or just something to use for 'snapshots' when out?

No one camera will cover 'all things for all people' so it's important to decide which route she wants to take before shelling out your hard earned cash.

Mainly when going for walks or events. Taking pics of our daughter and she says she would love to do a photography course.