Trigger pulls ???.

samboy

Hi all.

Discussing trigger pulls today, so what should be the heaviest pull the first or second on an o/u ?.

Thanks all.

Nothing worse than ****ty trigger pulls. Loads of talk about gun fit but a **** inconsistent trigger pull is the worse thing ever. 

I love Benelli auto's but their pulls are bad so they got sacked. Beretta's take a bit of time to bed in.

Best pulls i've ever had is from my Perazzi o/u. Crisp, clean and consistent.        

You can buy a brierly competition trigger unit for the Benelli. 

I had the tigger pulls on my Beretta 682 gold e fettled by thegun Smith when he serviced it for me. 

Most manufacturers set the second trigger a pound or more heavier so you don’t accidently fire it when the gun recoils.

Edited by figgy

I don't know the ins and outs of trigger pull weight, but I know miroku's take some beating for good trigger pulls, I would say that due to only shooting a miroku well 2 for the last 10 years

edited to add I know the worst trigger pulls are on hushpowers  they are terrible but a good tool for the job

Edited by yickdaz

11 hours ago, yickdaz said:

I don't know the ins and outs of trigger pull weight, but I know miroku's take some beating for good trigger pulls

I owned a Miroku for 4 years and I've shot a dozen or so since then. I can unequivocally state that in my opinion they are, along with Brownings, just about the worst triggers of any mid range gun. I dislike the free play, the creep, the needlessly heavy pull weight and particularly the inconsistency. Newer ones seem slightly better than older but to me they still feel pretty agricultural.

When you look at some trigger groups and how crude the sears are look like they been cut out of old stacked plate padlocks it’s no wonder they creep and are poor.  Some fine polishing with a diamond hone can make them better but the angle is critical. Some on semis I’ve owned only touched on one side of the sears. 

I think one can only really assess such when the pad of the trigger finger lightly makes contact with it.  Too many shooters (especially heavy handed men!) coil their finger around the trigger and use the first joint area as the point of contact.  This area is not as sensitive as the pad, and does not make for good pulls. 

1 minute ago, FairImogen said:

I think one can only really assess such when the pad of the trigger finger lightly makes contact with it.  Too many shooters (especially heavy handed men!) coil their finger around the trigger and use the first joint area as the point of contact.  This area is not as sensitive as the pad, and does not make for good pulls. 

Correct. (Apart from the heavy handed men part ;))

Some people slap the trigger and neither notice nor care about heaviness and creep etc., but others - like me - 'feel' the trigger and absolutely do notice the occasional extra heavy or light pull. Over the years I must have missed hundreds of targets before finally getting a gun with excellent triggers.

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:04, bornfree said:

I like about 2.5lbs on my rifles but never notice them on a shotgun.

As above.

Considering the lack of precision that's required with a shotgun (as opposed to a rifle) I can honestly say I've never felt a trigger I would describe as bad on any shotgun I've ever used.