wheres my girls

Released 85 pheasants pheasants onto a small 150 farm for dog training . 

Im always seeing the cock birds hanging round in groups of 2-4 spread out over the farm. My question is where are the hens I very rarely see any at all??? Ive sat and watched thinking I might see a few hanging about with the cocks but don't seem to be seeing them. 

Most consistant place I see a few is hanging around the pen. 

Cheers jon

Edited by jonniemax426

Where do they roost ?   My small 10 acre wood is devoid...or so it seems...of hens during the day. A few cock birds strut around like they own the place. Then about an hour before dark, hens will come running in from around the area to go and roost in the fir trees near the centre of the wood. I see this regularly when sitting unseen in my cabins. I probably have 25 or 30 roost in the same place every night and they will appear at the edge of the wood and run down the rides, maybe peck up a few peanuts under the squirrel cages.

A good place and time to see them. 

150 acres is quite a small area, depending on the habitat it may suit cocks better than hens. Even on large commercial shoots is quite common to find certain woods have far more hens than cocks or vice versa.

Often hens like warmer woods.

For all most keepers blame cocks for wandering, GWCT studies reckon that hens actually wander more. Can see the logic to it with cocks being territiorial the only problem being often their territory might not be inside the wood but along some hedge row/rough corner of field away from other cocks.

Also the cocks stand out more and u often don't see the 5-10 hens hiding round about them