Thermal base layers

Biggthepool05

Helly Hansen (at the end of the winter sports direct have them cheap also picked bargains up from uttings). Also so under armour, again from sports direct. 

Im not brand conscious but the fabric Technology / blend / fit is much better than cheap stuff. 

I must admit to being Captain Frosty as I feel the cold really bad. Over the last couple of years I have found that IMHO the expensive Thermal base layers are no better than the cheap ones - I currently use a T-shirt and Trousers from one of the discount stores, pretty sure they were about £4 each - trick with Thermals seems to be NOT to tumble dry them. The next layer is where I have discovered my salvation - Army Surplus Quilted Extreme Weather clothing - I have a  one - piece suit that makes me look like a Telly Tubby but is so warm that it's torture indoors, even for a couple of minutes, and a Jacket and Trousers that are brilliant - rarely need the Trousers with the Jacket on. Available on Fleabay.

Edited by bruno22rf

3 hours ago, Dunkield said:

So strip down to your underwear, remove one layer and then get dressed again? :hmm:

Yep. Rather do that than sweat to death working, then when I stop freeze because my clothes are all damp. Only with regards to vests though, I'm never worn legging things as such a faff if you get too hot. Coat off, fleece/jumper off, base layer off, fleece and coat back on. Takes a minute if that. Always worked for me everyone I'm sure has their own system.

As a base layer for moderate activity these takes some beating: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0065HWLFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lifa and the rest are good, but to justify the cost, three times that of the fellow in the above link, you really need to be working hard. 

If you want something uber warm, i.e. for lying around in puddles, then it's these:

https://www.heinnie.com/ussen-baltic-norj-pro-zipped

.... and if the puddle starts to freeze, it's big brother:

https://www.heinnie.com/ussen-extreme-protection-norj

Both have the long wrist with the thumb slot that cover most of the hand, but I find them too warm as a base layer for active use, but great for static stuff.

The type of themal you chose is determined by the amount of activity you expect to doing.

I have super thick 'Snowboard' top from Decathlon for static (i.e. high seat) thermals that I would wear sat still for hours, I would never wear them if I was one the move all day long, for that I wear my HH Lifa setup. I have no problem with the cost of the HH stuff, I bought it in a sale at least ten years ago and it still going strong and works perfectly. I don't have any but I have heard the Musto stuff is just as good.