North Sea oil rig part evacuated due to storms

figgy

Any of the lads offshore or up in Aberdeen know why the CNR  Ninian South has been partly evacuated back to shore due to the coming storm Caroline ?

No other rigs in the same sector have been reported to be moving persons on board off for safety. 

I was on the Ninian South a few years ago and it certainly moves around in big seas.

I remember when I was on it, lads said in the past divers had found a six foot hole they could stand in in one of the legs. I know rigs move around a little and sway they have too but the Ninian South would shove you around if you were leaning against something. You could watch towels and anything hanging swing around.

some of the riser pipework used to rattle and clang around where it broke it’s bracings.  Some of these rusty structures amaze that they haven’t fell over. 

It was quite funny watching all the green faces on the ferry back from amsterdam last week when the forecast was upped to a 9 by god that ship was rocking :lol: The info desk was packed with people wanting sickness tablets! They would make a fortune selling them in the sea shop instead. I bet a few evening meals were cancelled that evening :lol:

I wouldn't want to be out there when the wind hits 90 ashore I guess out there it's likely to be higher. 

2 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

The Jacket isn't properly braced, apparently. Never been on the Ninian South, but been on dozens of others and of them, the Dunlin's "big sway" in a hoolie was a horrible sensation.   

I was on the Dunlin Alpha my last trip offshore, it’s a rusty tub for sure. Great bunch of friendly lads but I found the dunlin got my balance a few times I grabbed for a handrail, never noticed it moving as much as the ninian south though that give me a few broken nights sleep being moved around my bunk. Worse than a semi sub as they move slowly.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

I was on the Dunlin Alpha my last trip offshore, it’s a rusty tub for sure. Great bunch of friendly lads but I found the dunlin got my balance a few times I grabbed for a handrail, never noticed it moving as much as the ninian south though that give me a few broken nights sleep being moved around my bunk. Worse than a semi sub as they move slowly.

Hence why they're pulling non essential personnel off :sick:

Just caught up with this thread, I was on the Ninian last summer on IRM works and can honestly say that their are quite a few  'Crack like indications'........(we are not allowed to say holes big enough to swim through??on tape).on the majority of the leg members and Knodes. And the cassion buckets are few and far between now days???. All due to age a constant battering from the elements and poor maintenance programs.

On 07/12/2017 at 07:56, figgy said:

Any of the lads offshore or up in Aberdeen know why the CNR  Ninian South has been partly evacuated back to shore due to the coming storm Caroline ?

No other rigs in the same sector have been reported to be moving persons on board off for safety. 

I was on the Ninian South a few years ago and it certainly moves around in big seas.

Worked on many Rigs ... Lay barges ... Platforms...The most dangerous Jackup Rigs. You just don't know whats under the Legs no matter how much test ballast you pre- load before raising the platform. Was on a three legged rig in Cardiff harbour when one of the legs plunged in. Down we went three metres 45% angle drill rods over the side with canteen and office and other equipment. Tide out 2 o'clock in the morning 14 foot of mud under us pitch black except for lights from Penarth and Cardiff completely disoriented covered in rust dust and a smashed Broken thumb. The longest three hours of my life waiting to get winched up in a Helicopter.... Out in Gabon ( Port Gentil ) Rig put its legs down and never got them back up again no matter how they tried.

9 hours ago, krugerandsmith said:

Worked on many Rigs ... Lay barges ... Platforms...The most dangerous Jackup Rigs. You just don't know whats under the Legs no matter how much test ballast you pre- load before raising the platform. Was on a three legged rig in Cardiff harbour when one of the legs plunged in. Down we went three metres 45% angle drill rods over the side with canteen and office and other equipment. Tide out 2 o'clock in the morning 14 foot of mud under us pitch black except for lights from Penarth and Cardiff completely disoriented covered in rust dust and a smashed Broken thumb. The longest three hours of my life waiting to get winched up in a Helicopter.... Out in Gabon ( Port Gentil ) Rig put its legs down and never got them back up again no matter how they tried.

That’s a bad day! Atleast you had some comfort being so close to shore, I’ve been on a few jack ups with decks under water when pulling legs but the crew never seem bothered and they always get them out eventually.

13 hours ago, cromwell7 said:

That’s a bad day! Atleast you had some comfort being so close to shore, I’ve been on a few jack ups with decks under water when pulling legs but the crew never seem bothered and they always get them out eventually.

No comfort at all I'm afraid.  Because the tide was out,  and the depth of the mud there was no way that they could get to us. We had to wait for the chopper.. We where working in the bay test drilling for the Cardiff / Penarth Barrage.  All the lights flashing ashore but they could not get to us.