playfull biting how do you prevent??

mosa

• 1 month later...

hi mosa, just wondering how you are going on with the pup biting and nipping ? I have an 11 week old ess and she is a little handfull at the moment (well i say little she is the biggest pup i have seen at her age 6.8kg). She nipps and bites playfully at first but sometimes she seems like she is being really nasty, though her tail is still wagging she gets a glint in her eye. I have been putting it down to the fact that she was the only one that survived in the litter and she has had no siblings to play with so is using her time with me as she would her litter mates. I am hoping she will grow out of it but would be greatfull of any advise.

thanks

alison391

There is a difference between young dogs "mouthing" and really biting.

Watch young dogs playing and they are always grabbing hold and pulling each other about, but they are not really biting.

When a pup of mine mouths, I say sharply "No" and take my hand away, then ignore it and walk away.

Another thing I do is put a training treat in my closed fist and offer it to the pup, if she mouths my hand, I say sharply, "No", when she doesn't she gets the treat.

This has successfully stopped several pups mouthing , including my current "little" hooligan.

Biting, as in sinking teeth in deliberately, is a whole different thing and not something I have experienced.

dont hit a dog, it is only showing it violence coming from you, so it see's it as acceptable

when it bites you turn your back on it for 1 minute every time it bites you

it will soon learn , and if it dosent work don't worry they all grow out of it

Tom

Thats a very social worker answer

If turning your back on it doesnt show it who,s boss(cant think why that drastic action wouldnt)

You could send it to alton towers for an all expenses paid week,Thats bound to mend its evil ways

how is that a social worker answer.

i want the dog to perform for me, it is less likely to have a willingness to perform if i take a stick to it when i feel like it is it?

the method cranfield talked about is a good way of doing it, but if you want to beat your dogs its up to you, i wonder how "i was showing it who's boss" will stand up when your facing an animal cruelty charge.

i wonder how "i was showing it who's boss" will stand up when your facing an animal cruelty charge.

To a certain extent if you want a dog to perform for you, you have to establish yourself as the alpha male in the relationship.

My brother has trained dogs for the RAF Police for around 15 yrs. Differant to training gun dogs I know, but the basic principle of establishing yourself as the dogs 'master' or 'handler' is more or less the same.

Sticks beating is not acceptable, but as paul and cranners have stated, strong verbal commands and a newspaper work well and get your dogs attention and above all respect.

how is that a social worker answer.

i want the dog to perform for me, it is less likely to have a willingness to perform if i take a stick to it when i feel like it is it?

the method cranfield talked about is a good way of doing it, but if you want to beat your dogs its up to you, i wonder how "i was showing it who's boss" will stand up when your facing an animal cruelty charge.

Can you please point out where i said beat it with a stick?;)

I was merely pointing out(yes in a sarcastic way)that your idea of turning your back on it would not work.

I have had gundogs for 25 years, all self trained all very good at what they do.I dont beat dogs with sticks as you suggest but i do make sure the dog knows i am the one in charge,if you dont establish this you are wasting your time trying to teach the dog anything as it will not respect you and will continually push the limits of acceptable behaviour,but i am sure you dont need any advice on your dogs flaws as you are so good at jumping to conclusions that you will be able to come to the answer yourself.