Legal eagles any tips

lksopener

Hi chaps basically bought a hotpoint tumble dryer 16 months ago. 

Live with just the mrs and the tumble dryer had a warranty repair after 10 months. Another 6 months down the line the bloody thing has failed again. 

Called hotpoint who are offering nothing but a £100 visit from an engineer, do I have any footing at all to make a legal claim? 

Not to worry if not I'll just grab another machine, Bosch this time as they have always been very good. 

Any advice? 

Trading standards state something should last a “reasonable amount of time” which is usually a lot longer than the 12month warranty, sometimes up to 6 years. I think it’s in something like the consumer goods act. But you’ll need to research it to find the details. 

5 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Trading standards state something should last a “reasonable amount of time” which is usually a lot longer than the 12month warranty, sometimes up to 6 years. I think it’s in something like the consumer goods act. But you’ll need to research it to find the details. 

Agreed - and I think it is the 'sale of goods act', but you need to go to the person/organisation who was the seller (e.g. the shop/trader).  Any legal responsibility is (in the first instance) with them (because it is with them that you have the buyer/seller legal 'contract'), not the manufacturer.

2 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

This.

It’s nothing at all to do with manufacturer..... you need to go back to the retailer you will have a good case as it’s failed before but the change in the leg hasn’t really helped as it’s confused everyone and blurred the lines....

where red did you buy it? Your contract is with the retailer no one else

Forget the manufacturer as you have no connection to them whatsoever - as stated your contract is with the retailer. You need to write to the store manager and advise them that your machine has clearly not "lasted for a reasonable time" and that they have 7 days to respond, if you hear nothing simply pop down to your local small claims court and start proceedings - you can then take a copy of the documents to the store if you like and see if that helps change their mind - if not then enjoy a day in court as they do not have a leg to stand on. Warranty has NOTHING to do with your grievance - you are claiming under your consumer rights.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is there  the case of still being in the EU and electrical goods have a 2 year warranty ? as brodie mentioned as well

Hotpoint give a ten year free parts warranty if one of their service guys is used. The service fee is also free for the first year or two.