Binoculars for Christmas

Robertt

A friend's wife has asked me to research binoculars for my mate for Christmas. 

Budget  £200 ish.

Usage , a bit of bird watching whilst out walking , general use and occasional accompanied Roe Stalking as guest.

Am thinking 7 x 42 but my word I cant find any of that spec anywhere close to the budget.

Looking at 8 x 42 the Hawke Endurance gets a good write up for the price.

Any suggestions please.

Edited by Robertt
Mistake

I prefer 7x or 8x to 10x.  If you are only going to use them in good light, you don't need 'big' glass.  8 x 20 works very well in good light - and are so easily carried/stowed in a pocket.

8 x 40 (or thereabouts) will be better in low light, but of course bulkier and heavier.  Over the years I have had several - initially thinking 'big was better', but now use my 8 x 20 for almost everything ........ because they are just so convenient to carry.

13 hours ago, Robertt said:

This dull weathers a good test as all optics look great on a bright day.

That is very true; surprisingly, better grade small binos can work very well even on dull days.  Its dusk/deep shadow that really show up the bigger/better ones.

Our eyes compensate for light variation by the pupils changing diameter - and quite a large change in light on a light meter isn't really noticeable as a big change to the eye.  Once the pupils get to their limit (about 4 - 5mm in older people, a bit more in younger eyes)then the limit of adjusting is reached and vision fails quite quickly.

Bino pupil outlet size is the objective size divided by the magnification (i.e. 8 x 40 gives 5 mm, and 8 x 20 gives 2.5 mm, 10 x 50 gives 5mm etc.)  There is little point in going to a larger exit pupil size than 5 mm as the pupil itself doesn't accommodate more.  8 x 42 or 10 x 56 are about as good as you will get for low light.

It the user wears glasses - make sure that whatever model is chosen has sufficient 'eye relief'.  This is the distance that the eyepiece glass can be from the eye.  For use with glasses about 16 mm or more is needed.  Below 15 mm and you may need to remove glasses - or you will see less than the full field of view.  See this http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/education/eye_relief.html