How near, how far.

TIGHTCHOKE

My eldest son has just got home from University in Carlisle, Mrs TC is cooking Fish, chips and peas.

I asked him if he wanted gravy with his dinner and he answered, "I'm not that northern yet!"

Apparently he gets told off up there for not calling dinner, tea.

Anybody else aware of the great divide?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coffee or tea first thing with biscuits. Snack

Breakfast.

Elevensies. Usually a drink and snack

Or you could have brunch which replaces breakfast, elevenses and lunch with maybe a full english late morning.

Lunch something light at mid-day sometimes folks have cooked dinner now.

Afternoon tea. Cakes and a cuppa

Dinner main cooked meal early evening if you didn't have it at lunchtime sometimes followed by a pudding which is still part of dinner.

High tea which is what you have in early evening if you had dinner mid-day. Usually a lighter meal or sandwiches

Supper light meal or snack just before bedtime to keep you going overnight.

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

When Mike first went in to a pub in Carlisle he asked for a gin and tonic and was accused of being gay and drinking cocktails!

Botchergate perhaps?  Well at least they've stopped locking the traffic barriers on Fri & Sat nights. (accident prevention for those who don't know), kept the peecat death rate down.

Don't come from Carlisle myself but daughter lives there, she was always such a good girl too!

Sorry chap! I am Newcastle born and bred! Gravy with fish? You are having a chuckle surely? That is just wrong on SO many levels, not just cultural :no:

chip shop curry is a different matter though! As is saveloy with stuffing, peas pudding and mustard with the bun dipped in the saveloy water mmmmmm northerntastic :yes:

47 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Coffee or tea first thing with biscuits. Snack

Breakfast.

Elevensies. Usually a drink and snack

Or you could have brunch which replaces breakfast, elevenses and lunch with maybe a full english late morning.

Lunch something light at mid-day sometimes folks have cooked dinner now.

Afternoon tea. Cakes and a cuppa

Dinner main cooked meal early evening if you didn't have it at lunchtime sometimes followed by a pudding which is still part of dinner.

High tea which is what you have in early evening if you had dinner mid-day. Usually a lighter meal or sandwiches

Supper light meal or snack just before bedtime to keep you going overnight.

High tea in this household was sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, snacks, etc!

Edited by Lord Geordie

Fathers family came from Sheffield, mothers locally here in Worcestershire/Gloucestershire borders, so I have both north and south ancestry. 

Lunch was a light meal one course or soup (except Sunday) taken (usually in the kitchen) in the week.  Sunday lunch was dining room full roast and pud.

Tea was usually a cup of tea and slice of cake, though in winter sometimes muffins, hot buttered toast or crumpets.  Occasionally sandwiches in summer.  Kitchen in summer, by the sitting room fire in winter.

Dinner was the evening meal - dining room and usually a hot meal (roast, pie, caserole etc.) and pudding to follow - sometimes cheese as well.  Soup or starter as well sometimes when guests present.  In summer tended to be replaced by 'supper'.

Supper was instead of dinner when a light ermeal was wanted (e.g. Sundays and quite often in summer) salad with cold meat or ham, pork pie in summer, often something on toast in winter.  Often eaten on a tray in front of the TV in winter, or in the garden on a nice summer evening.

Fish and gravy? Is that smokes or cured salmon gravadlax with a nice mustard and dill sauce, very nice and tasty healthy too. 

Or are you refferrring to that most un healthy deep fried crispy coated dripping in dripping or cheap oil type of fish and some spiky anaemic potato bits fried in the same gloop served in old newspapers.  Usually frequented by beer swilling uncouth fellows after a night in the local working men’s establishments. As for the curry sauce served in polystyrene cups. Where do they get that stuff from. 

:lol:

12 hours ago, grrclark said:

Breakfast, dinner and tea and a supper is what you get from the chippy.  A fish supper with salt, vinegar and brown sauce.

Chips in gravy with some grated cheese is perfect post beer munchies.

And don’t forget the deep fried Mars bar for pudding (Scottish thing I think) ;)