How near, how far.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, old'un said:

And don’t forget the deep fried Mars bar for pudding (Scottish thing I think) ;)

I have never actually seen that in a chippy.  Yes, pudding is what you have after your tea, unless of course you have a pudding supper for your tea, like a black pudding supper.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Deep fried everything up there, watched a 9 inch pizza thrown in to the hot fat years ago!

Deep fried pizza is less common than it once was, but still common enough.  I have not had one, could you imagine how hot the cheesy sauce would be?

19 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My eldest son has just got home from University in Carlisle, Mrs TC is cooking Fish, chips and peas.

I asked him if he wanted gravy with his dinner and he answered, "I'm not that northern yet!"

Apparently he gets told off up there for not calling dinner, tea.

Anybody else aware of the great divide?

Why would you call dinner tea? You have dinner at dinner time (12 ish) and tea at tea time (evening).  You southerners are weird!!!

There was a program on the BBC about 'dinner' and how it became fashionable to have it later and later, started of course by the upper echelons and aped by those lower down the social scale.

In Adrian Bell's trilogy, Corduroy, (father of the reporter Martin Bell) he tells how he moved up from London or thereabouts (and the moneyed classes) post WW1 to rural Suffolk to work on a farm and learn about farming.  He had to get used to dinner being in the middle of the day which is what we always had and in fact I still eat my main meal in the middle of the day, my dinner.  He also spoke of how he found that people always visited the back door and that they never went to the front.  In contrast to many of the people I grew up around, this is something we also did but I'd guess it's pretty much died out now.

1 hour ago, yod dropper said:

He also spoke of how he found that people always visited the back door and that they never went to the front.  In contrast to many of the people I grew up around, this is something we also did but I'd guess it's pretty much died out now.

Still very common around Sheffield. Half of the time if I knock on the front door to make a delivery someone will appear in the window and wave me round to the back. Plenty of houses where the letterbox is on the back door too.

Collecting some scrap from a Fell side farm many years ago, a mate was invited in for ‘ a spot of dinner’. After finishing his meal he was instructed to clean his plate with his bread ( quite common growing up in Cumbria ) after which the lady of the house put his pudding on it. 

Whole drinking the following cuppa, he noticed the ring halfway down his mug, indicating where the last one had been when it went cold. ?

8 minutes ago, JimLondon said:

In our asssss it was breakfast dinner and tea, which comprised of jellied eels, pie n mash or cockles n mussels a li-da-li-ho. It didn’t matta wot order yer munched em in as long as yer got yer good cockney Fayre inside yer. Gawd bless yer

Breakfast dinner and tea  

I provide food to visitors and the thing now is "supper" meaning the main meal of the day, Darling shall we have a lobster for supper..:sad1:

..supper for me was a bit of bread and cheese 

As a Northerner who migrated to the South, I have come across this language difficulty many times.

I was brought up on Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Supper.

Breakfast - Porridge, Bacon, Eggs, Sausages, Fried (white) Bread and Black Pudding and lots of Strong Tea

Dinner - Hot-Pot. Shepherd's Pie or Meat and Potato Pie (Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding on Sundays) with at least carrots, turnips and greens. Suet or Rice Pudding for afters, with a cup of tea

Supper - Marmite on toast and Horlicks

A diet like this is what made the industrialised North of Britain great.

Now, of course, that I have come South and married a Plumstead girl, I eat Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

which consists of 

Breakfast - Porridge (if I make it myself) or Cereal

Lunch - Omelette and Salad with wholemeal bread and an apple, or maybe a steak and salad.

Dinner - Salmon steak, Fish pie,  Thai Curry with a bottle of the appropriate wine, followed by more fresh fruit or an occasional (rare) sweet

Supper - no chance

However, I have found that the lighter diet matches my more sedentary life

ps, somehow I have managed 3000 posts of drivel

Edited by amateur
Ruddy system would not allow me to add more

10 minutes ago, amateur said:

As a Northerner who migrated to the South, I have come across this language difficulty many times.

I was brought up on Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Supper.

Breakfast - Porridge, Bacon, Eggs, Sausages, Fried (white) Bread and Black Pudding and lots of Strong Tea

Dinner - Hot-Pot. Shepherd's Pie or Meat and Potato Pie (Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding on Sundays) with at least carrots, turnips and greens. Suet or Rice Pudding for afters, with a cup of tea

Supper - Marmite on toast and Horlicks

A diet like this is what made the industrialised North of Britain great.

Now, of course, that I have come South and married a Plumstead girl, I eat Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

which consists of 

Breakfast - Porridge (if I make it myself) or Cereal

Lunch - Omelette and Salad with wholemeal bread and an apple, or maybe a steak and salad.

Dinner - Salmon steak, Fish pie,  Thai Curry with a bottle of the appropriate wine, followed by more fresh fruit or an occasional (rare) sweet

Supper - no chance

However, I have found that the lighter diet matches my more sedentary life

ps, somehow I have managed 3000 posts of drivel

Not to worry Harsner managed that years ago, I think the real question here is what is your chip butty comprised of? bread cake, tea cake, balm or a bap even most northerners cant agree but it is definatley a bread cake

Chip butty comprises, by definition, 2 slices of well buttered white sliced bread loaf with a good inch of proper dripping-fried chips.

Please note, I've even learned the difference between "comprises" and "composed of"

Edited by amateur

18 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

Not to worry Harsner managed that years ago, I think the real question here is what is your chip butty comprised of? bread cake, tea cake, balm or a bap even most northerners cant agree but it is definatley a bread cake

You are correct sir, it's definitely a breadcake.

That is now 2 Yorkshiremen who have said so, so you can consider the argument/discussion over. :yes:

Breadcake nonsense.  Cake is sweet and can be eaten for pudding or for having with a cup of tea or maybe as part of a high tea.

For those that call them balmcakes, well that is because they are bams who obviously have no clue what cake is.

It is a bread roll, or simply a roll, no more complicated than that.

7 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Breadcake nonsense.  Cake is sweet and can be eaten for pudding or for having with a cup of tea or maybe as part of a high tea.

For those that call them balmcakes, well that is because they are bams who obviously have no clue what cake is.

Correct me if i'm wrong but your Scottish? from what i here you guys cant speak English so your opinion on the BREADCAKE situation is unwarranted as is that weird excuse for a sausage, square indeed!!!

13 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I'm sorry Graham, you know I respect your opinion on many things, but in this case . . .

1329da518ec28807bfc6b74bb048105cec42726b