40 yarder!!

youngratter

So this morning in the blizzard, me amd my mate decided to still go out first light for a walk i had the hatstand magnum that i absolutely love and he had an old bsa single.

With a pheasant cocking up coming off roost we headed down towards it and sure enough there he was, 1 in the bag which is good because the kids have been bothering me for more pheasant for sunday dinner. 

We spent another hour walking through the on and off snow and couldnt find any other birds for the bag so headed back.

As we came over the brow of a hill 70 or so yards down the bank was  a bright fox wandering through, so i sat the dog down and my mate crouched down aswell. I loaded the hatsan with 42g #3 fiochi and slowly headed towards the fox but every step there was a crunch, got down to 40yards and she was side on so lifted the gun and squeezed the trigger to which she lept up in the air mouth open then took off to the left. As she came out of cover second shot to the chestbowled her over but she got up and further into the wood. Me and my mate spent a good half hour following small spots of blood so far into the wood and then nothing!! I was gutted and didnt want to go home without finding i though id look one more time but head towards a little brook ant there she was the other side of the brook curled in a pool of blood.

What a relief because i belive its the one iv seen a few times in the lamp but is too lamp shy to get a shot.

Youngratter.20171209_091829.jpgIMG_20171209_104453_215.jpg

Edited by youngratter

Rimfireboy, I did the same last night, lost it when it kicked on into a bramble patch and then into holly bushes. Hate leaving them. Just been up but couldn’t find it ? after a long search. My terriers ****** so I didn’t have a dog

Edited by cragman