Chris green and his pump gun

flippermaj

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Richie10 what shoes do you do? Is it dog display. 

We run a few gundog scurries at local shows. Essex Young Farmers and Blackwater show, we get all dogs types involved, non working as well and we run our own dogs to show the public what they are used for, so will run them on a blind and seen marks. We run a competition but it's all just some fun for people to get involved with.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:48, flippermaj said:

Just watched the new Chris green dvd and as ever the poor chap has no luck with his guns.

if anyone has seen it there is a clip where he takes a shot at a pintail while in his canoe, misses and pumps the gun ejecting the empty cleanly but when he pulls the trigger for the second shot it is empty so you see him cycle it again before getting the second shot off, did he short stroke it even though the first cartridge ejected fine?

second disaster for him was jamming the pump completely, he ended with the bolt stuck in the barrel, how does that happen?.

??

cheers. Flipper

Out of interest, what did you make of the content of the DVD?

Hi Motty,

only watched it it once so far but liked it all bar the naff bit on Canada’s inland over the pond where the Welsh guy was how would you say, not a natural for the camera and the guns involved were very poor shots from what I could see.

the stuff on the Tay has been done before on his other dvds but I like to see the Tay any time, good replay of him missing the greylag with the 8 bore, useful for new shoots as it shows the need to pull through an on coming bird.

poole harbour canoe boat stuff all done before but as it’s an area I don’t know and a style of shooting I don’t do happy to see it again. Interesting observation on the crop content of one of the ducks he shot.

your ground featured well, shame the very first flight it was too dark to see the action with the pinks. Good to see the mud and gutters of the foreshore for real as opposed to just reading about it.  The trailer for the dvd showed you, Chris and another walking back along the sea wall with some birds, the other had a side by side over his shoulder, I think, but didn’t appear in the dvd if I remember rightly, would have liked to have seen him in action with the sxs. 

The section with you jules and some others at the end again showed shooting the like of which doesn’t exist in my area so it was good to see it for real and the action and filming was very good.

the bit on reloading by jules was a sort of hit and miss, it showed the reloading process in action but didn’t go into any detail, it may warrant a more detailed section on any future dvd.

a couple of questions for you!  Out on the foreshore you where using your ou but on the flooded washes your semi, my guess is that the ou is more reliable in the mud?

chris didn’t shoot on your epic flight, is that coz he was fed up with the pump?  I noticed in the final frames where you have the bag laid out he is holding a gun but it looks like the triple he used on the last dvd?

Cheers

13 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Hi Motty,

only watched it it once so far but liked it all bar the naff bit on Canada’s inland over the pond where the Welsh guy was how would you say, not a natural for the camera and the guns involved were very poor shots from what I could see.

the stuff on the Tay has been done before on his other dvds but I like to see the Tay any time, good replay of him missing the greylag with the 8 bore, useful for new shoots as it shows the need to pull through an on coming bird.

poole harbour canoe boat stuff all done before but as it’s an area I don’t know and a style of shooting I don’t do happy to see it again. Interesting observation on the crop content of one of the ducks he shot.

your ground featured well, shame the very first flight it was too dark to see the action with the pinks. Good to see the mud and gutters of the foreshore for real as opposed to just reading about it.  The trailer for the dvd showed you, Chris and another walking back along the sea wall with some birds, the other had a side by side over his shoulder, I think, but didn’t appear in the dvd if I remember rightly, would have liked to have seen him in action with the sxs. 

The section with you jules and some others at the end again showed shooting the like of which doesn’t exist in my area so it was good to see it for real and the action and filming was very good.

the bit on reloading by jules was a sort of hit and miss, it showed the reloading process in action but didn’t go into any detail, it may warrant a more detailed section on any future dvd.

a couple of questions for you!  Out on the foreshore you where using your ou but on the flooded washes your semi, my guess is that the ou is more reliable in the mud?

chris didn’t shoot on your epic flight, is that coz he was fed up with the pump?  I noticed in the final frames where you have the bag laid out he is holding a gun but it looks like the triple he used on the last dvd?

Cheers

Wow, what a reply! I will try to address some points.

Yes, it was a shame it was too dark to see the action on the first flight. Chris only used the Gopros on that occasion, and they are not great when darkness approaches.

The 'other' on the sea wall had a sxs 10. Chris filmed his flight further along the marsh, as he had more geese over him.

The reloading bit was just to show something while they were talking, really.

I hadn't really done much fowling with the o/u, so I took it out that day. My semi is plenty reliable enough on the marsh. I often change guns from one day to the next. I have shot pinks with 4 different guns this season.

Chris took his triple barrelled gun out with every intention of using it on the washes. He ended up just filming us in the end.

All in all, we got a fair bit of decent filming done. The filming of the pinks wasn't quite as good as we were hoping, because the geese were a little hit and miss last year. The flight on the ouse washes was much better than expected, though.

My copy arrived yesterday and I watched it last night .

I have all his previous Wildfowling discs and have been taking go pros and Sony Action cams with me for the past 7 years while shooting . It is a lot of extra work trying to film and shoot, hauling gear etc. 

Mottys reply above answers my first couple of observations , sound quality and very dark image quality , poor , more so than in his previous films and not just accounted for by dawn and dusk . I had to adjust the tv settings to take care of that . Go pros are poor in low light , sony is better.    

Some of the segments were very short and did not flow as well as  they could have. As with all films , no matter what footage you have its all about the editing at the end of the day , it makes or breaks a film . I was getting a little , well not pleased , at times during the last segment while up the scaffolding , to many twisting through the Shrubbery and bushes images . Sure I can understand why , one or two ok , but it went on a bit . In previous discs , he slips and falls the odd time as we all do and the camera shot going astray is perfectly fine as that's what happens.

The actual shooting , well some good shooting and some poor shooting and some very ! far away shooting .  I was not a fan of the Wales segment , more like vermin shooting and poorly at that .  A tremendous bag on the washes and some very good shooting  there , interesting to see the 8s and 10s in action , we don't have them over here and no re loading either .

I would like to have seen More about the Lighthouse for instance and of the Washes themselves and would have watched a more in depth re loading for wildfowling segment also . I am also surprised at how many guys get their first Shoveler on his films , Pintail is the one most guys never see over here , though I have been lucky in that regard myself .

I wish he would go back to Punt Gunning , do a whole Film on travelling around the different estuaries with a traditional punt gun , not the , TRIPLE Thunder  CUT MY FINGER OFF one . that's the reason I first got into his films .

Does anybody know where I could get the "The Puntgunners film or similar as mentioned above ?.

Oh James if you are reading this and we did meet at a CLA a few years back , Please buy your oldman a New hat for Xmas , between Burnt Tea coazies and that Muppet hat this time , there so big if he gets em wet falling out of his Kayak he will drown with the weight .

I'm afraid the rotten tomatoes score on this one is 60/100.

Edited by GADWALL41

I haven't watched my copy yet due to being out most days either , driving the guns about , beating or a bit of fowling but after next Saturday I have got some days free so I will certainly watch it .

Going by some of the above reviews it don't sound as good as some of previous ones , is he trying to turn out to many and the standard is beginning to show ?.

I have got the Fenland Wildfowlers d v d as well and I wondered if it would be possible to make a new one of the Lincolnshire W A clubs and bring the Ouse washes in as well , we have some very good members on the forum who make smaller version videos  on pigeon and duck shooting and I am sure they would be more than capable in putting one together . 

7 hours ago, GADWALL41 said:

Does anybody know where I could get the "The Puntgunners film or similar as mentioned above ?.

There used to be a chap in the USA who would do copies, but there is something funny about who owns the copyright.

I have a copy of it, but no way of copying it onto anything else!

Gadwall, it is an amateurish film shot on 16 mm. No shouty folk, no mugging at the camera. It shows a time and place which are now fading into history.  Poor JRJ already on his last legs after a stroke. Children seen briefly who are now grandparents. The adults involved are now all gone and are remembered with affection by some of us. Like the films showing Ernie James, Kenzie etc. all this is just history now along with gentleman fowlers such as Arthur Cadman and BB.

If you find Chris Green's stuff entertaining as many do then great. But this film is a bit of nostalgia and not really to be compared with modern videos..

Thanks for the info PP + BM.

Yes different times indeed , I have a  few Kenzie films and one on the Broads that can be found online and easily downloaded .East Anglian Film Archive ones.

I have a few French wildfowling dvds also / digging pits on the beach , in their Bunker type hides etc and of course they do shoot all those waders to , so it is a bit different . Not a fan of the live bird decoys though.

Try the disc on a different PC before you give up on it BM , you could then re copy it and it might run on your laptop .

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Just watched that video A Man Between 3 Rivers great video brings you into a world with proper country men away from the curses of modern society mobile phones facebook etc brilliant anymore Fentiger would be great :good:

Have a look on East Anglian Film Archive , then click on to countrymen , if you like the old way of doing things , this will keep you happy for hours.

P S ..... Hope your hip problem is on the mend and you are soon back to your normal self .

• 3 weeks later...