Buck knife reccomendations

Wb123

The better half's father wants a small buck knife for Christmas, intended use is something archery related. 

I know nothing about knives beyond quite liking opinel carbon blades for out and about, and japanese steel in the kitchen, but an opinel would seem a bit cheap for the circumstances. 

What would people reccomend?

10 hours ago, Wb123 said:

The better half's father wants a small buck knife for Christmas, intended use is something archery related. 

I know nothing about knives beyond quite liking opinel carbon blades for out and about, and japanese steel in the kitchen, but an opinel would seem a bit cheap for the circumstances. 

What would people reccomend?

From your post it appears you are not aware that Buck is a brand name for knives. Opinel is a different brand name.

Just a heads up.

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/f/brand/buck/?dir=asc&order=price

Many thanks everyone, i understand he shoots at targets made of compressed rubber that the arrows easily pull from. The better half is looking to spend anything up to £150 for something he can enjoy for many years to come.

I shall try and find outnexactly what use he has in mind though we think it is some form of trimming/adjusting arrows. 

The buck solitare rosewood looks nice. 

Edited by Wb123

Here's a bit of an old wives tale which can be relevant the the chap is superstitious.

In folklore it was believed that giving a knife as a gift would cut the ties of friendship. A way of overcoming the problem was to put a coin (a penny) in the gift box and the receiver gives the penny back to the donor thus in effect buying the knife and overcoming the bad luck. A bit of old tosh but, perhaps, a good talking point over Xmas dinner.

8 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Many thanks everyone, i understand he shoots at targets made of compressed rubber that the arrows easily pull from. The better half is looking to spend anything up to £150 for something he can enjoy for many years to come.

I shall try and find outnexactly what use he has in mind though we think it is some form of trimming/adjusting arrows. 

The buck solitare rosewood looks nice. 

It does - even TC would like that I think. That one is UK legal so the blade doesn't lock open which, dependent upon use, might not be a good idea though. Vantage small?

Edited by wymberley

8 hours ago, stumfelter said:

If it's for digging arrows out of trees the steel will be too brittle. I bought my mate a fixed blade buck and he managed to snap the last inch off doing just that!

Working off shore Salina Cruz Mexico all the American Divers laughed at the Green River knives our Deckhands were  using compared with their Buck Knives  .... At the end of the contract All the American Lads took Green River Knives home with them.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

It does - even TC would like that I think. That one is UK legal so the blade doesn't lock open which, dependent upon use, might not be a good idea though. Vantage small?

Given how often he reminds me my opinel is illegal i suspect it being something uk legal is important to him. Personally I never use non locking knives, i have seen the results of folders vs fingers too often.