Chubb Boxlock

theshootist

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

Does anyone have any info on Chubb as a manufacturer of guns?

A friend of mine has a cased Chubb boxlock which he may sell. It has "Chubb" inlaid in gold behind the hinge pin and is in beautiful condition. It looks like a webley action but could it have been built by Chubb themselves? 

Does it have outstanding lock work?

Webley and Scott sold them quite a few  in the 70's .Seemed to recall them coming back for colour hardening .Memory must be going as I can not remember if they were just barrels actions or sent out in the white [ thats the complete gun stocked and ready for engraving and finishing]

Something has just jogged my memory of a Webely 700 in the white I was asked to price up for finishing that I was told had been bought from Cubbs some years before and sat on by the buyer and then sold on .

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, matone said:

What sort of production rate did Webley have when you were there Gunman ?

Over the period I was there ,1968/ 1977  I would reckon  the 700 range  averaged out at 15 per week as production numbers  dropped off in the last few years so if you work on 48 weeks per year X 9 years that comes to 4770 .  No way do I claim to have worked on every gun but I must have had a hand in good proportion .

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2017 at 08:42, theshootist said:

Does anyone have any info on Chubb as a manufacturer of guns?

A friend of mine has a cased Chubb boxlock which he may sell. It has "Chubb" inlaid in gold behind the hinge pin and is in beautiful condition. It looks like a webley action but could it have been built by Chubb themselves? 

I'm over 2 years late in to this,  and I apologise for that!  I also haven't read the rest of the replies,  so I may well end up apologising for that too!
Chubbs of Edgeware was a fishing tackle shop,  owned and run by a remarkable man - one Fred Buller - an exceptional fisherman and writer.
Fred Buller had most of his guns made in Birmingham by competent outworkers and the better end of his range,  came from the workbench of David Dryhurst - that exceptional actioner who is now a director of and still make guns at W.W.Greener.
I have a 1970 made sidelock gun,  'Chubbs London' inlet in gold on the legs of the lock plates and on the barrels,  fully and heavily scroll engraved retaining all of its original colour,  as the gun has never been used.  The barrel loop and the headstock are both stamped DJD.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

When I started in 1968 it was around 25 a week , this dropped of to 12/15 by 1977 when I left .

Hi Gunman I’ve been told my Cogswell and Harrison Konor 3 inch magnum built in the mid 1950s was made by Webley would that be correct? Thanks 

I really dont know the answer to this .

Webley did make a variety of guns apart from their normal boxlock/sidelock  range . I very much doubt these would have been suitable for magnum loads .

A couple of photos of the action especially the top lever would be helpful to say one way or the other .

2 hours ago, Gunman said:

I really dont know the answer to this .

Webley did make a variety of guns apart from their normal boxlock/sidelock  range . I very much doubt these would have been suitable for magnum loads .

A couple of photos of the action especially the top lever would be helpful to say one way or the other .

Hope these can help I’d read that the avant tout was a weaker action and prone to failing at reproof but I was told a lot of Cogswell and Harrison boxlocks were made in Birmingham. I read somewhere that the most modern of the Konor model were made by Webley and that coupled with its 3 inch chambering made me hope that it would be a stronger action

7211E8FF-A86C-4B44-A313-F2802FF4F025.jpeg

F37D37E0-5E26-4461-B65E-DEE2A5AE5BB6.jpeg

This is one of C & G's own guns ,based on the Edgar Harrison patent .I understand this  gun action that was an attempt by C&G  to be more "mass produced " in the sense of being more machined and assembled than " built" in the traditional manner . This is quite a nice example , but I have seen some that were very basic and looked it .

Cogswell's do have mix reputation overall , but a lot comes down to lack of necessary care and attention , and yes the earlier guns were quite weak , having been designed in the days of black powder and have been know to crack across the bottom of the face especially  in proof .