One for the bladesmiths

la bala

Hi guys, need some help. I need to etch a name on a knife. I have done the usual google bits, it appears I can edinburg etch using ferric chloride and citric acid or salt water solution and battery charger.   Can you lads who use these methods give me your views particulaly the mix ratio as it is such a small area.  I do like the look of the electrolosis method but i want the etch good and black. Thanks.

Yep, no problem. You can get a super finish with the battery charger and salt water.  I add about a double handful to about four pints of water in a gallon plastic can with the top cut off. Then put a rod of steel in the corner.  Attach negative to that and positive to your knife blade.

NOW, you have a choice of various ways to mask the blade. I have had great success painting nail varnish with a fine brush a sort of Damascus pattern around Letraset stick on numbers but I have used other stick on letters etc available from Hobby Shop. I immerse to where I want the effect and then switch on, the water will imediatley bubble/foam, count to about 25 -30 secs and switch off. Remove the blade and then buff off with a polishing mop. I have one which is fairly course which fetches the nail varnish off and then a second soft mop with some fine polishing medium. The unmasked areas will be a deep grey colour and the masked areas will be highly polished.

pm me an e mail and I will send one or two photos of what the results can be.

Polish a piece of steel first and have a practise.  You can get some amazing effects and don't need to be handling dodgy chemicals. 

Be warned, anything not masked will get etched. I have actually painted a blade with paint, then using a needle I have drawn a picture in the painted surface.

Got some stunning effects

Edited by Walker570

Whichever chemical you use you need to be aware that it is vital that the stencil is clear, crisp and well made. Also note that if you want a black finish to the etch you need to use DC to etch material (steel) away, then use AC to blacken the etch. Think of it as DC being one way ... lifting steel away, and AC being two ways .. lifting, oxidising, and then re-depositing the blackened stuff back into the cavity of the etch.