Scully

Have just acquired another Defender which is slightly upmarket from my current one, which I never bothered with securing apart from locking ( the locks can be opened by inserting the relevant screwdriver !?) and want/need some serious security now. I know what’s available I just wondered what do others use and recommend. Cheers .?

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Thanks LG. Had wondered about the pedal lock one. Mate has the steering one but didn’t know of anyone who had the pedal one. 

Good to know. ?

I am pleased with the X-Defend as it folds back and fastens securely with a turn clip against the seat base. The other types I saw were loose when off the pedals so not great in an accident. The disclock sits nicely in the door pocket against your leg.

Nothing will stop the proffessional thieves with a vehicle trailer, but it stops the drive away thieves.

People doing the defender nicking are normally professional theives with the means to break them or load into a container in a few hours of stealing them. You will want something to secure it to the ground to stop them lifting it up and a good tracker is about the best you can do. Just make sure it's insured and you that you don't leave any family heir looms in their overnight.

Mark it!  Every piece of glass, as many major components and bits of trim as you can - some markings subtle, some obvious (to try to discourage before it grows legs).

Basically try to make it too much hassle/too expensive to ring or flog the bits... and keep a list of what/where you’ve marked. 

Retainagroup do a special Defender kit.  It’s light on the glass marking stencils but if you’re careful you can reuse them. 

Datatag also do some nice kits with transponders which you can inject into upholstery or araldite in obscure place around the vehicle. 

Owners also often modify sirens, reroute or protect certain cables, and even go as far as hammering in ball bearings to the hinge bolts... much depends on what they see as the risks where they are (I.e. into the container and off abroad vs broken down/ringers locally).