A bit demoralised.

aga man

15 hours ago, aga man said:

Braved the sleet and snow showers this afternoon and headed to a small spinney that pigeons feeding on rape have be holding up in.

The pigeons returned very obligingly four 2 hours. I took the new {to me} Hushpower out for a try and I couldn't hit a damn thing. I fired 19 shots and managed just 2 pigeons which were not very dead.

The pigeons were by no means high, so god only knows were I need to be with it.

Great to be out with the dogs though as it has been a while.

Plenty more practice yet I guess.

I was out on saturday with mine and had similar problem 17 for 4 pigeons only 1 killed outright, i think it shoots low will try to pattern it this week. I don't like risking wounded birds not in my nature. I also find it heavy and cumbersome in the hide, not used to pumping eather, that said it does have its advantages.

I feel your anguish Aga Man  but don't let it get you down;All reports suggest you are straight shooter with plenty of experience.Those mossberg hushpowers are weird guns...top heavy, overstocked & prone to do strange things whilst pumping another shell in.All this leads to frustration & slight changes in your technique.In short they take some getting used to BUT if you just concentrate on shooting/swinging just as you would picture the end of your 12b. barrels you will find they are pretty much the same in terms of swing/lead etc.. In fact I think they will shoot pretty much what I would expect from my 12b.Take your time & next time you will surely have more kills I think.

Hi Aga man,

apologies but had a little smile to myself reading your post if only in that as stated most whom first try these moderated guns encounter similar frustration of "where on earth is that shot pattern" I personally had a session or two on the novice clay stand to understand where the gun is shooting then it clicked. I was advised by Cranfield off here that "you will need to work out where the gun shoots" and he was correct, stick with it mate they are worth the effort, good luck.

I nearly gave hushers up as a bad deal way back when. I can still remember the moment that changed my mind where I was tucked up against a wood and a crow came over high. I swung thru and nailed it and it fell virtually at my feet. If it hadn't been for that I would likely have become their worst critic but it showed me what they can do and I've had some cracking days since then.  I mostly use my Franchi 20g or Urika Light these days though as I shoot a bit less and enjoy these more.

29 minutes ago, bunny_blaster said:

Aga man as has already been said, raise the comb by a small amount. I couldn't hit a thing when I first got my mossberg but a small piece of pipe lagging taped to the Combe soon got me hitting things. They shoot low so by raising the comb it brings the point of impact higher

Ben

Thanks, that is exactly what I intend doing when i get a minute. If I can get the thing shooting where I point it , i might do better.

Thanks for all the other comments, re assuring to know it's not just me that struggles with these things.

I will keep you all posted:good:

I had a .410 hushpower until recently, one problem was I couldn't hit a barn door with it, we took it to a local clay range and 4 of us, all experienced shots , failed to score with any consistency.

In frustration I fitted a fibre optic fore sight, suddenly I was hitting targets, even pigeons on the wing and at reasonable distance, 

It was suggested that the extra wide tube that forms the outer casing of the barrel was causing me to shoot wide , having difficulty with a moving target to get an accurate centre line. 

The sight certainly improved things, but in the end I sold it as I preferred 12 gauge to drop pigeons at longer range and with far greater consistency.  

Looking at the majority of the posts relating these hushpowers , I think its fair to say they are not the easiest guns to shoot straight with and to do any good you might have to shoot high , low , wide , add bits on and take  things off,  fair enough but after you have worked it out how to hit whatever quarry you are after , how do you then get on with your normal gun , do you have any problem adjusting back to normal use ?

I have problems just swapping between standard guns, 5 in 4 years has caused me many problems but the up side is im getting much better at setting up the guns to my preference, as to the hushpower, I never used it enough for it to affect my normal shooting.

14 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Looking at the majority of the posts relating these hushpowers , I think its fair to say they are not the easiest guns to shoot straight with and to do any good you might have to shoot high , low , wide , add bits on and take  things off,  fair enough but after you have worked it out how to hit whatever quarry you are after , how do you then get on with your normal gun , do you have any problem adjusting back to normal use ?

Still John you don't need to worry, your old blunderbuss will still be going strong well after you have given up the pigeons for your warm fireside, an old gun is a bit like an old dog, you know you can rely on it but dont know how much longer it will keep going.fingers crossed-long enough !!!!!:lol::lol: LOL 

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

MM Strangely enough no, I go back to my M2 without issue I just presumed it was muscle memory however I do have a bit of a wobble if shooting a lot of rifle then going back to SG as I find myself pointing/aiming at the target

2 minutes ago, maxwell said:

MM Strangely enough no, I go back to my M2 without issue I just presumed it was muscle memory however I do have a bit of a wobble if shooting a lot of rifle then going back to SG as I find myself pointing/aiming at the target

Thanks Maxwell ,  I can understand people shooting there normal standard by changing the chokes in multi choke guns as the gun itself is still the same , but changing to something like the hushpower with what look like a short piece of pipe on the end of the barrel I would find it a bit off putting to say the least.

I use the same gun all the year round weather its pigeons , game or wildfowl so I get used to the weight , bringing it into my shoulder and trigger pulls , every now and again I give one of my other guns a day out and straight away I find everything different from the straight hand stock to pistol grip , barrel length ( 28 to 30 ) and the trigger pulls and yet these guns used to get every day use by me at some stage of there lives , but after a few shots the minor changes are soon forgot about .

i borrowed a baikel hushy 410,first 11 shots 8 birds,but not having a 2nd barrel bothered me,picked up a mossy  hushy 20g just didnt like the feel of it,so didnt buy it,got an investarm hushy o/u 2og instead but like aga man had one day were my kill ratio was about 6 to 1,but last time out on flighted pigeon shot well with it,so it just takes time to adjust to the big difference in modded guns,ive been shooting for over 50 years so am not exactly a novice.keep at it am.