Giving Blood

lord_seagrave

I know that many on here already do, regularly. I’m sure that there are some who cannot, and I’m equally sure that there are many who could - but have not, and/or just ‘haven’t gotten round to it’.

Just do it. If there is no physical reason that prevents your donating, then go online at blood.co.uk and book yourself in.

Stay safe, everyone.

:good:

LS

23 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

I know that many on here already do, regularly. I’m sure that there are some who cannot, and I’m equally sure that there are many who could - but have not, and/or just ‘haven’t gotten round to it’.

Just do it. If there is no physical reason that prevents your donating, then go online at blood.co.uk and book yourself in.

Stay safe, everyone.

LS

Agreed ..I have my silver medal.   To old now.

12 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I gave blood for many, many years, and now for the past 10, have donated Platelets, which can be given by a male, every three weeks.

Me and the wife give regular, takes a lot of time to give platelets so well done Steve, had a mince pie with my brew last week ? 

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Me and the wife give regular, takes a lot of time to give platelets so well done Steve, had a mince pie with my brew last week ? 

It does take time, I agree. Usually, from the time I enter the clinic, to finishing my donation (which on average is 80 minutes) I'm there for around 2 hours. I don't mind though, as I have a good laugh with the clinic 'nurses' and as much tea, coffee or orange juice I want, not forgetting the biscuits!

It is a very worthy cause, and, even though I started to donate a long time ago, there are many years before that when I could have been giving.

I used to be a donor, but they won't let me donate anymore. If you have had a transfusion they won't let you donate anymore. I am eternally grateful to the people who gave me the 25 units I needed when I was a bit poorly a few years ago. The only thing is I guess I am square on is I had donated that much before. It really is a worthwhile thing to do.

David.

I'm up to 109 and still giving, it's a short moment in time talking to nice nurses but make a hell of a difference to the recipient. I've not collect the awards yet but might when the eventually stop me.

i just wonder what my recipients think when thay can not stop looking at wood pigeons and guessing the required lead?????.

3 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

They are nagging me to re-start platelets, 'cos I'm A positive. Had a break due to medication, but need to start again - they always need platelets, but I've had a few failed donations in the last year, and I always feel guilty about wasting their time and resources.

They would rather you turn up and try, than not at all. I’ve seen many failed sessions, including one of mine, when the needle had a clot of blood in it and failed to draw the blood. Whatever they have taken up until then is used for testing etc. 

People like myself who donate, helped keep my son alive for another 32 precious hours, until he lost the battle to survive. I am eternally greatful to those people. It’s a great feeling when you know that your donation has gone to help someone get better or even live a little longer. I only wish I had started when I was 18 and not many years later. I’m annoyed though that I’m too old to register to become a bone marrow donor, especially when others older than me are still on the register.

The biggest fear that most people have, and which puts them off donating, is having a needle inserted. If there was a way to  take blood without a needle, many more would donate. One if the nurses at the clinic was telling me about this recently.

13 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

Stay safe, everyone.

LS

Ireland will not or would not take Blood from English people.

only reason I don't do the platelets is the time, not the donation its self but an hour each way to Lancaster, there not keen for you to even start, I'm guessing they've had people begin then quit due to travel and time. 

I couldn't care less about the needle happy for students to practice, as others sat its an hour, hopefully it helps someone somewhere 

Donate once or twice a year is better than never, and you can still just turn up without an appointment they then just try and squeeze you in.