Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GSP84

Any winter pigeon experts?

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

Out again yesterday, same old problems, pigeons were on the rape when I arrived but soon departed to pastures of rape elsewhere, first four to return took one look at the magnet and did a disappearing act, so as usual I took it in, stuck out 3 floaters and a flapper and managed to get 5 before I froze solid, I could barely move when I cleared up after only 2 hours and had to sit in the car with heaters full on for half an hour to thaw out, I must be raving mad, just looking at the maps to plan the next outing, maybe tomorrow !!!

 

Full marks for trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a roosting wood you can have a crack at ? 

I have a farm that yields similar results. I've found shooting the wood either throughout the day as they fly to and from or at last night yields better results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Is there a roosting wood you can have a crack at ? 

I have a farm that yields similar results. I've found shooting the wood either throughout the day as they fly to and from or at last night yields better results. 

Good point gingercat, There are some great woods but full of pheasants at the moment , have to wait till February for access, but there are two small woods where I have seen pigeons during the daytime, might be worth a go , maybe with a few decoys on the edge of the wood and a couple of lofters in the trees, you've got me thinking now, not my usual thing, I like open ground with large decoy patterns but this time of year I am willing to try anything, especially if I can get out of the wind , I have never used my fishing brolly so much , not even when I used to fish a lot.But wait :yahoo:

I have just been looking at the weather forecast for next week, 9 degrees in the daytime with sun and light winds, woop-e-doo look out pigeons,  I may even take my sun glasses just in case.:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would always recommend using a magnet when  shooting over OSR, and a decent wind will always help.

Be prepared to move your hide if things don’t go to plan , and always do a good recce to see where they want to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been reading all your posts whilst listening to the wind howling outside, and there's a field of rape which had a nice amount of pigeons on yesterday only 500yrds away.

I sussed the flight line out yesterday.

im going to venture out there shortly and try some of your methods, I shall report back later.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to your report, I have a GP's appointment and am working  today, otherwise I would be out in that wind looking for sporting shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was blustery to say the least!!!!!

Im afraid to say that has to go down as an epic FAIL on the rape, the pigeons were just not interested in even flying over it, but more intent on heading over to a tall wood which is surrounded by game cover, I can only sumise that they were feeding on berries in the wood or on wheat on the deck in the cover.

After an hour of watching this happen I moved onto their flight line and stood behind the large hedge they were crossing with the wind in my back, I was surprised by how much speed the birds were still generating with a 40-50mph head wind and they made for some good shooting, I had 16 shots and got 4 woodys and a rook. 

Not a huge bag but good fun.

im keeping ng an eye on the rape from indoors now and I've a clear view and it's totally devoid of pigeons. 

Ill maybe try again tomorrow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MattSoanes said:

Well that was blustery to say the least!!!!!

Im afraid to say that has to go down as an epic FAIL on the rape, the pigeons were just not interested in even flying over it, but more intent on heading over to a tall wood which is surrounded by game cover, I can only sumise that they were feeding on berries in the wood or on wheat on the deck in the cover.

After an hour of watching this happen I moved onto their flight line and stood behind the large hedge they were crossing with the wind in my back, I was surprised by how much speed the birds were still generating with a 40-50mph head wind and they made for some good shooting, I had 16 shots and got 4 woodys and a rook. 

Not a huge bag but good fun.

im keeping ng an eye on the rape from indoors now and I've a clear view and it's totally devoid of pigeons. 

Ill maybe try again tomorrow.

 

Tell me about it, I was walking across a field of rape at 45 degrees and 2lb of mud on each boot to get to a small wood, mind you it was worth it as I had some nice flight line shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter how much you prepare or what you think you know ,there is always going to be one of those days when nothing goes as planned, 

I decided to brave the wind yesterday and made my way to a large area of rape with good access on green lanes around the perimeter , my first choice of position was facing into a 30 to 35 mph howler , birds were just hopping over the river and reed beds and dropping into the edge of the field, but no matter how I looked at it, I could not get a decent hide position , so I moved to the other side of the field with the wind at my back, 

I managed to build a reasonable hide with the fishing brolly and several nets, laid out the pattern with the magnet and 2 bouncers, 

birds were coming past about 2 feet off the ground and moving well in the high wind, a lot of birds about but not willing to come into the pattern, flaring away just out of range, I moved the magnet and pattern several time but with no improvement, after a few point and hope shots I managed a head on long shot , after almost 2 hours just 1 bird, 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see birds going to a small wood at the top of the field, so I packed away and moved to the wood for the last hour, standing among the swaying trees with branches falling all around me I took 3 as they came to find respite from the wind, cold and tired I gave up and headed home, but at least the rain held off even though at times it was so dark I could barely see birds approaching, not a great day but at least I got out for some fresh air better than sitting staring out of the window. 

Edited by lakeside1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

It doesn't matter how much you prepare or what you think you know ,there is always going to be one of those days when nothing goes as planned, 

I decided to brave the wind yesterday and made my way to a large area of rape with good access on green lanes around the perimeter , my first choice of position was facing into a 30 to 35 mph howler , birds were just hopping over the river and reed beds and dropping into the edge of the field, but no matter how I looked at it, I could not get a decent hide position , so I moved to the other side of the field with the wind at my back, 

I managed to build a reasonable hide with the fishing brolly and several nets, laid out the pattern with the magnet and 2 bouncers, 

birds were coming past about 2 feet off the ground and moving well in the high wind, a lot of birds about but not willing to come into the pattern, flaring away just out of range, I moved the magnet and pattern several time but with no improvement, after a few point and hope shots I managed a head on long shot , after almost 2 hours just 1 bird, 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see birds going to a small wood at the top of the field, so I packed away and moved to the wood for the last hour, standing among the swaying trees with branches falling all around me I took 3 as they came to find respite from the wind, cold and tired I gave up and headed home, but at least the rain held off even though at times it was so dark I could barely see birds approaching, not a great day but at least I got out for some fresh air better than sitting staring out of the window. 

 

  I know how frustrating this time of year can be , but if you don't bother to try you will only go cabin krazzy. Keep trying and look for the flight lines.:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’ve been playing about over the last few weeks with a) a lot more decoys, and b) the pattern for laying them

Steadily been getting better and better results, and today had 70+ over winter rape.

im using a lot more decoys (30+) and placing them a lot closer together and bunched up rather than U shaped.

getting a lot more success.

 

9283645D-7F88-402E-97AC-AC32178AE8FD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2018 at 20:10, GSP84 said:

Well I’ve been playing about over the last few weeks with a) a lot more decoys, and b) the pattern for laying them

Steadily been getting better and better results, and today had 70+ over winter rape.

im using a lot more decoys (30+) and placing them a lot closer together and bunched up rather than U shaped.

getting a lot more success.

 

9283645D-7F88-402E-97AC-AC32178AE8FD.jpeg

As I said earlier this method has worked well for me in the past and I still use it now, some days better than others but hey, anything that improves my results works for me, well done, nice result :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...