Primers for 410 reloading.

Hi Guys,

Could any of you 410 reloading enthusiasts please give me a bit of advice.

I currently reload 410's using various powders but all with Cheddite CX50 primers.

I am running low on these primers and it has been suggested to me that CCI 209 primers could be a suitable alternative.

The Cheddite CX50 is a "cool" primer so any info regarding the suitability (or not) of the CCI 209 would be greatly appreciated as I know that 410 reloading recipes can be very specific.

Thanking you for your help in this query.

As above, Folkston Eng., suggest the Fiocchi 215, Clay & Game I believe use the Cheddite.   The 209s you refer to where the 'standard' primer way back when and would be a good alternative in my mind.  John at Folkston is very helpful. I use his recipe for felt wads in my 410 reloads and they are spot on. 

What powder/weight, shot/load ?

Edited by Walker570

Well, no, not quite as simple as that.  Smaller bore tend to increase pressure exponentially. If 209 (or 616 or cx2000) have many applications on 12 bore, that doesn't necessarily make them good for .410. it's the power of the primer combined with the powder in the relevant gun bore that dictates what's good and what's not. It's all a matter of physics not guesswork

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Derek!

Are you loading 65mm or 73mm cases?

I can let you have a fair few primed ones free of charge together with some CX50 primers....again free of charge....you've done enough favours for me in the past!

Another little 'trick' is to use Eley 1B or, I should use the 'new' name from the 1960s, lol, the Eley Surefire Primer. These are used in battery cups from Eley after the 1970s explosion. Again, I can give you a fair load of these, together with quite a few battery cups....THAT YOU MUST NOT DISCARD! As you need them over and over again!

if you come down here, you can also take Bob these 12g rolled turnover game 6 that have been languishing here!

Best wishes!

Alan.

Edited by Floating Chamber