Problem with a Mazda diesel

Westward

I know little about diesels. The car is a 1.6d Mazda diesel with 105K on the clock. The same engine is used in some Fords & Peugeots. Yesterday, on the M5, I was passing a truck at about 65mph and felt a slight lag in power. A mile or so later I pulled off at my junction and a few hundred yards later the engine died and I pulled in to a stop. There were no warning lights so I switched off left it 30 seconds and it restarted normally. Same thing happened a couple of minutes later and then again after another short run, after which it ran fine for about 9 miles to my house.

I always us branded fuel, usually Esso or Texaco, no supermarket fuel ever. Could the fuel be frozen or contaminated with water? What should my next step be?

In my experience you are describing fuel starvation.

This can be due to a blocked filter or fuel line. A vacuum builds up in the line up to the point where the fuel can't get through in sufficient quantity to keep the engine going. After it has been stopped for a while the vacuum is released and fuel can flow again, repeat until fixed.

Given the recent weather it is quite likely related to waxing diesel or water contamination. Without the cold weather I would say dirt in there somewhere which could be the case anyway.

p.s. I would expect the run to your house was at slower speeds or involved slower speeds. A lower fuel flow is needed then and the vacuum doesn't build up enough to stop the engine.

I have a tractor that I can't run flat out on the road or it will stop, take it a bit easy and it runs fine. **** in the tank or squashed fuel lines, taking it steady means I don't have to fix it. :)

I'm having the same problem with esso fuel. I've change the filter and have examined the content of the old one. It's not %100 diesel, there's too much bio in it. It smelt too " plastic", not as diesel used to. It's legal for fuel companies to do this now, but it's not good for the fuel systems as it leads to contaminated tanks and ruins fuel pumps. Expect more of the same.

Thanks for the responses. It does sound like fuel starvation and I've booked it in for a new fuel filter (thanks al4x). I saw a comment on another forum that the MAF could be causing it but as I said there are no lights on.

Tomorrow should be less cold so I'll take it down the bypass a few times, see what happens.

2 hours ago, Westward said:

The air filter was changed a month back so should be okay. Took it out for a whizz round the area today including some stiff hills with no problems at all.

I'll get my man to check the breather and change the fuel filter as I don't have a priming pump.

If it's the engine I'm thinking of they have the pump on the engine. They are notorious for not starting after you do a fuel filter, ford advise tow it for a few miles to get them started. Subsequently, they don't get changed when they should! Hope you get sorted 

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I was planning to upgrade the car in the spring but had a chat with 'er indoors and decided to do the deed right after New Year. Apart from a 120 mile round trip this Sunday it won't be needed much till then and hopefully it can manage a couple more weeks. Trade in value is very little so I don't fancy spending more than pocket money on it.

I had a similar fuel starvation years back on an old petrol engine Renault 5.  Took ages to track the problem down but it turned out to be the petrol cap to the fuel tank.   The vent hole had become blocked so after some miles of running the vacuum built up in the tank as there was no air flowing in to replace the used fuel.  Cheap replacement fuel cap fixed it.