Amazon Echo or Google home anyone got one?

paul1966

thinking about investing in one of the above, i will mainly use it for internet radio and streaming my music i have on my NAS. I don't subscribe to any of the amazon extra's eg prime. Which one of the two would be more suitable for what i want. Been doing a bit of research and can't seem to find a way of streaming individual songs off my NAS with either, the best option i have found so far is to upload my music onto Amazon music and stream from there, unless anyone has any better idea's of how to do it?

1 hour ago, the crowman said:

Apparently Chromecast is the next best thing.....better than kodi 

How do you figure that? 

We have swapped both of our chrome casts over to the Amazon firesticks because they do the same job plus can have KODI loaded onto them. 

Chromecast just lets you stream from a device onto the tv that rh chromecast is plugged into. 

I have 3 echos (dot, echo, echo 2) -- I've hooked up the whole house with 433mhz transceivers, changed the light switches etc etc -- and bridged it all up to Alexa. So for about a year now, i can tell "Alexa, turn on kitchen light" or "turn on speakers" and we've got voice command all over the house (downstairs).

Even my wife, who's a bit of a technophobe, is completely converted. You can stream music (sometime with 'surprises' if she doesn't understand what you really want), play radio, use timers (special for cooking), set alarms and all that jazz. I even configured 'the house' to turn on lights in the house when I approach the drive, and that sort of things.

Basically, I originally thought it'd be yet another gadget, but it really has transformed the house.

I designed a small hardware bridge+software to let alexa talk to 'dumb' (aka cheap) 433mhz wall switches and outlet: https://github.com/buserror/rf_bridge

11 minutes ago, buze said:

I have 3 echos (dot, echo, echo 2) -- I've hooked up the whole house with 433mhz transceivers, changed the light switches etc etc -- and bridged it all up to Alexa. So for about a year now, i can tell "Alexa, turn on kitchen light" or "turn on speakers" and we've got voice command all over the house (downstairs).

Even my wife, who's a bit of a technophobe, is completely converted. You can stream music (sometime with 'surprises' if she doesn't understand what you really want), play radio, use timers (special for cooking), set alarms and all that jazz. I even configured 'the house' to turn on lights in the house when I approach the drive, and that sort of things.

Basically, I originally thought it'd be yet another gadget, but it really has transformed the house.

I designed a small hardware bridge+software to let alexa talk to 'dumb' (aka cheap) 433mhz wall switches and outlet: https://github.com/buserror/rf_bridge

Can you come set me House up? 

1 minute ago, ShootingEgg said:

Ahh the old spy device, constantly listening to whats being said... Think I'll pass.. ? 

It's not. the only logic in the *device* itself is to recognise the key word. Thats all. ONCE it recognize the keyword, then, it sends the sentence to the cloud blah blah for analysis and processing.

But, the device *itself* is incapable of streaming constantly to headquarters.

I don’t trust them, they are constantly listening for your command word. Also what about if it gets hacked. 

If your happy all good and well I’m just not comfortable letting that sort of device control anything. 

Edited by figgy

I have 'standard' internet radio on a devices (FM/DAB radio/cd/hifi units)  It has some amazing number of stations/channels (30,000 or so).  This makes finding anything you want a slow process.  Having tried it, created a (free) account at the manufacturers website that allows you to store favourites etc. - it all works fine.  However, it is so tedious to use unless you only visit a few channels that I find I use DAB more ...... unless a particular channel you want for some reason is an internet only broadcaster.

I'm not a convert to voice control.  I have had it on two cars, and yes, it works, but its FAR easier (and quicker) to reach for the control.  I can see the theory of a voice controlled 'smart' house but can't really see any aspect I would use with any regularity.

A friend has an Amazon one; it works OK, but other than being a kitchen radio that you can adjust without touching when cooking etc., it doesn't seem to 'do anything useful'.

Anyone saw the video of some parents telling their child to ask it something, due to the child not being a great talker it misunderstands the child and starts spouting about porongraphic terms and phrases. Quite funny seeing the parents panic trying to shut it up. 

On 12/12/2017 at 21:25, figgy said:

I don’t trust them, they are constantly listening for your command word. Also what about if it gets hacked. 

If your happy all good and well I’m just not comfortable letting that sort of device control anything. 

Same for me, can't see benefit to turning light switches on and off by voice to be honest, not unless your disabled anyway, sounds like a slobs wet dream to me but to each their own I suppose.