Woodcock

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well final knock around for cock birds today and at the onset we all agreed to leave the woodcock alone. In 7 drives I would estimate we saw upwards of 40 or more and all flew very well indeed and looked in good health.  It was suggested that this season there may have been a late fall as others shooting with us said they had witnessed large numbers on shoots in other areas in the last two weeks.  Certainly no shortage.

Yep here too - we had a cock-clearance day and I saw dozens of woodcock. I wonder too if it was a late fall as a couple of the Guns commented on birds landing close to them almost as if they were tired. I had one land a few feet away and my cocker nearly caught it before I could react. I suppose to the dog it appeared injured so had she picked it I would not have reprimanded her.

• 9 months later...

We were out in east Kent last Saturday and did 6 drives. We put one or two out of 5 of the drives.   Due to the decline in numbers over the last 2 or 3 years in our area we dont shoot them until after 1st December and then only if the Gun is prepared to take it at the end of the day.

As many have said previously numbers looked low last year it was the case on our small shoot. Saturday was our second shoot of this season

and produced 5 woodcock none were shot but hopefully numbers will be back to normal as last year only saw single figures all season.