I would like to see everyone to start controlling the Grey Squirrel 
    I think you will find that it is the Grey Squirrel eating the Woodcock's eggs 
    That is the main reason for the decline of the Resident Woodcock 
    and it would be a feather in the Gamekeeper's and Hunters cap if we could get the Woodcock back 

I Have a facebook group trying to sort out the Grey Squirrel problem if anyone wants to join 
     UK and Eire Squirrels The Grey Area 
    5,300 members up to now
    The Facebook Group for controlling Grey Squirrels 
    Looking for people to start to get organized to cull all the Grey squirrels in the UK and Eire
    So to totally remove the threat to the Native Red Squirrel 

Edited by Brendan Anderson

For the last 15 years I have kept a diary of the amount of Woodcock I see on shoot days and I send this Information to the BTO at the end of the season.

I shoot in 3 different counties and this year the numbers I have seen are down, only one of the shoots I have been on allow the guns to shoot Woodcock and then only if you want to take it home.

Last year I recorded the most woodcock I have seen since I started to record there numbers so it might be a bad breeding season is to blame for this years poor numbers?

We do have a number of breeding Woodcock in our areas, I personally don't think they have declined that much, this spring i saw more than for a number of years, I thinks its the amount of migratory birds that have decreased this season?

We were out yesterday and only saw two neither were shot at, I would normally expect 8 - 10 birds in this area. Mind it was the wettest days shooting i have had in many years. 

We are seeing quite a few here in the Norfolk Broads area. Went beating on a shoot recently where 30+ were shot and guns took entire bag. A lot of snipe on wet (very!) fields but duck strangely absent from flight ponds etc although Waveney Marshes alive with geese and duck with big packs of teal. 

I shot one here Monday afternoon. Possibly committed sacrilege but I breasted it and took the legs off, fried them quickly with a large knob of butter and had it sliced thinly on toast. It was the most delicious thing I’ve eaten in a long time!

1 hour ago, reggiegun said:

Alright Paul mate, I have seen more wood cock this year on our shoot, than i have in 20 years

We haven’t shot our particular woodcock wood much this year, but when we do the woodcock are thick on the ground, 30/40 in a drive that’s only a few acre.

Last season was really good  for them too.

Was on an island off the west coast last week.  Annual jaunt up there and we rose the usual numbers., probably 100 over 3 days and we shot 17.....!!

1 hour ago, Bell said:

Was on an island off the west coast last week.  Annual jaunt up there and we rose the usual numbers., probably 100 over 3 days and we shot 17.....!!

Islay by any chance?

8 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Islay by any chance?

No!......but not far away!!.......used to go to Islay regularly shooting Mark pipers ground.  Great numbers there but then found somewhere a little closer to home !

On 14/01/2018 at 12:03, Brendan Anderson said:

I would like to see everyone to start controlling the Grey Squirrel 
    I think you will find that it is the Grey Squirrel eating the Woodcock's eggs 
    That is the main reason for the decline of the Resident Woodcock 
    and it would be a feather in the Gamekeeper's and Hunters cap if we could get the Woodcock back 

I Have a facebook group trying to sort out the Grey Squirrel problem if anyone wants to join 
     UK and Eire Squirrels The Grey Area 
    5,300 members up to now
    The Facebook Group for controlling Grey Squirrels 
    Looking for people to start to get organized to cull all the Grey squirrels in the UK and Eire
    So to totally remove the threat to the Native Red Squirrel 

there is very little evidence to support the claim that Grey Squirrels are responsible for the egg thieving they are blamed for. Actually Corvids are far more common nest raiders. 

I'm not saying it's not a worthy cause but may I also point out that the red squirrel is also a rodent and as such just as inclined to rob nests as the grey squirrel? 

being ground nesting birds woodcock are also under threat from Hedgehogs, Badgers, Foxes, Stoats, Weasels etc etc. 

I wish you luck in eradicating the Grey squirrel I truly do but it's impact on woodcock numbers will be minimal. 

11 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

there is very little evidence to support the claim that Grey Squirrels are responsible for the egg thieving they are blamed for. Actually Corvids are far more common nest raiders. 

I'm not saying it's not a worthy cause but may I also point out that the red squirrel is also a rodent and as such just as inclined to rob nests as the grey squirrel? 

being ground nesting birds woodcock are also under threat from Hedgehogs, Badgers, Foxes, Stoats, Weasels etc etc. 

I wish you luck in eradicating the Grey squirrel I truly do but it's impact on woodcock numbers will be minimal. 

Badgers are most definitely a big concern for all ground nesting birds, really is a shame their numbers can not be controlled better.

12 hours ago, Paul223 said:

Badgers are most definitely a big concern for all ground nesting birds, really is a shame their numbers can not be controlled better.

True words and public enemy number 1 to anything on the ground.

Time something was done to keep numbers sensible.

6 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

Sadly that will never happen. The anti lobby is just too strong and vocal.

14 hours ago, Paul223 said:

very true.

and perhaps paradoxically they are a menace to Hedgehogs, I suspect in no small way contributing greatly to their decline, hedgehogs being another opportunistic predator of ground nesting birds. 

1 hour ago, sako751sg said:

and in the ground, they love to root out bumblebee nests.