Was talking to a chef in a local restaurant at the weekend. He was excited to have Woodcock on the menu as he doesn’t often get the chance. I’ll be supplying him directly after each shoot next season if possible. 

Well final knock around for cock birds today and at the onset we all agreed to leave the woodcock alone. In 7 drives I would estimate we saw upwards of 40 or more and all flew very well indeed and looked in good health.  It was suggested that this season there may have been a late fall as others shooting with us said they had witnessed large numbers on shoots in other areas in the last two weeks.  Certainly no shortage.

Yep here too - we had a cock-clearance day and I saw dozens of woodcock. I wonder too if it was a late fall as a couple of the Guns commented on birds landing close to them almost as if they were tired. I had one land a few feet away and my cocker nearly caught it before I could react. I suppose to the dog it appeared injured so had she picked it I would not have reprimanded her.

Could the numerous sightings of Woodcock seen over the last few days be a case of some hard weather coming from the North and the Woodcock are being pushed down South in front of it ? 

We were out in east Kent last Saturday and did 6 drives. We put one or two out of 5 of the drives.   Due to the decline in numbers over the last 2 or 3 years in our area we dont shoot them until after 1st December and then only if the Gun is prepared to take it at the end of the day.

We do the same on a couple of shoots I go to.We have seen about half a dozen in the last fortnight.Non to be shot before  the 1st of December and if one is taken after that a donation to the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust is required.

All of my driven days have been from game cover mainly partridge.  Into the woods tomorrow and Friday/Saturday so I will raise the subject at the briefing and see the response.

I think the 'shoot and you take it home' rule is sound .... mind anyone who doesn't want to can give them to me:yes:.

As many have said previously numbers looked low last year it was the case on our small shoot. Saturday was our second shoot of this season

and produced 5 woodcock none were shot but hopefully numbers will be back to normal as last year only saw single figures all season.

Not raised the gun at any yet but looking decent numbers this season.

Been out till dark most evenings either ducks or does and seeing plenty on flitting about on last light or landed on the tracks.Hopefully get a spell of frosty weather and have a walk up for some.