German Shorthaired Pointer

deeksofdoom

Well after burying my much beloved springer spaniel in September I have found a replacement.... a GSP.

I had been looking out for a pup, but  was toying with the idea of a more mature dog. A friend of mine had acquired a 12 month old GSP bitch from a relative who thought she was gunshy. Having experience of the German Wirehaired Pointer I suggested to him that they take a while to mature and she may need to be gradually introduced to the gun.

A few weeks passed and was talking to my friend with the GSP, asking him how he was getting on with her. He was getting on great, except he had too many dogs and no time to run her, he asked me did I want to take her out for a run, to which I said yes.

Anyway took the young dog for a run with my GWP, she worked well, still very green, but when we met a few pheasants she showed great interest and I managed to shoot a cock. It was the older dog that was doing all the work but I could see that the blood was up in the young bitch.

On returning home I rang my friend and he suggested I hold onto her, him being swamped with work and sowing his wild oats.

So now shes got  her third new name...... ‘Pepper’ and is coming to it, (she never learned her last 2 names) and She has learned to sit on command. She’s a very keen, biddable bitch and we are bonding. I told the wife I was just minding her for a few weeks..... I don’t think so....

I will put up a better picture when I get a chance.

4BDF860D-8FDC-4E98-8197-2D17A8783D0F.jpeg

Edited by deeksofdoom

My GSP, Mole was acquired in a very similar way. He had been abused and returned to the breeder. 10 months old and did not even know his name. A manic woman had done the abuse and it took a few weeks for him to trust my wife, and even less to learn his new name, but then found it comfortable curled up on her lap in front of the fire. He quickly became a 'killing machine' never told a lie.  Didn't need to work hedges, just send Mole up the down wind side, he would either go rock solid on point or get to the top and shake his head...no kidding ...he did look back with that Germanic look as if to say, "Vie did you vaste my time, dumbkoff". 

He liked nothing better than flighting pigeons in the wood and I would tease him by flicking off the safety now and then and he would search the sky.

Hope your young girl turns out as good.  Your in for some fun.

I'm not a "doggy" person, as I've never been able to find the time required to properly look after a Gundog, but I used to go shooting with a Guy who had a GSP, it was a lovely tempered animal, and so versatile in the field, as it would point, then flush, then retrieve.

It used to love pigeon decoying, and would often exit the hide looking skywards when it could tell from our voices that birds were nearby...!

If I ever had the time to own a dog, it would be a GSP.

Cat.