Ruger 10/22 upgrades

Zetter

So this week I finally got round to taking my Ruger 10/22 apart for a clean.

When I bought it the trigger, barrel and stop pin had been done and it appears to have an aftermarket cocking handle. Hwoever it wont cycle a couple of subsonic types (Winchester subs and Ely Subs) so I was thinking of upgrading a couple of bits. What is worth doing from someone who has tweaked their 10/22?

I know the 10/22 can end up like triggers broom i.e. its a 10/22 in name only but it looks like a fun gun to have a ply with as far as modding goes. 

I put thousands of win subs through my 10/22 with little problem, just make sure the chamber is kept degreased/waxed and that all the moving parts are free of bullet lube and grit. Mine used to start playing up at the end of a nights lamping when it was getting dirty and had been  hanging out of the window picking up all the dust the truck kicked up. 

Really at the moment I am having issues with Wichester subs. It cycles Eley contact which are supposed to be for semi autos fine but for some reason it will fire a Wichester but generally wont extract it. It doesnt even get as far as stove pipe part extraction.

The eley  are fine  but are not hollow points and I want to start using the 10/22 for hunting as I have chopped my CZ bolt action in for a HMR.

Cheers JD its had a good clean already as I took it to bit following one of the fantastic videos on You Tube. After some swearing and the purchase of some centre punches I can now get the bolt and trigger unit out easily I think I may treat myself to a new extractor claw and pin set. Also tempted by a new cocking handle and spring as the current one is a bit pedestrian.