Shared Firearms on tickets for £20?

Dave-G

Several years ago my brother - who lives in Cornwall, and I (in Leicester) tried to arrange having each others firearms on each others tickets, so we could secure them in each others cabinets: We both spend time at the others dwelling and undertake a little joint shooting. We both have similar calibres and both our names on several of our shooting permission slips.

The proposal was turned down by both D&C and Leicestershire. 

Brother has just phoned to tell me, after being advised by an RFD and confirmed by D&C -  that it is now possible to list a 'second user' of our firearms if we apply for a variation. The idea is that for example, instead of brother bringing a rifle to Leicester when he visits his business up here he can use one of my rifles - even if I am not present: Presumably because my rifles will be on his ticket - or his name on my ticket - I don't know the full details of how it works yet. Has anyone else heard of this?

£20 has been suggested as the cost to enable this.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Am I missing something, isn't that simply getting the guns listed on each others FAC via a variation which was always possible. 

The fact you were turned down for this historically (for whatever reason) doesn't mean you couldn't do it.

Cheers

That seems to be the case - gawd knows why they felt it couldn't be done.

ISTR something was said about the risk factor of who could be proven to be culpable if one of the firearms had been used to shoot someone - for example - if both parties said the other did it.  :hmm:

• 4 months later...

This is not going well. :sad1:

Brother phoned D&C FLO and got told it needs doing my end, on my ticket if he wants to use mine but have no access to my cabinet. (to simplify the procedure)

I emailed Leic's - who phoned me to say I need to get my rifles added to brothers ticket.

Being able to avoid carrying firearms and ammo 300 miles + a break at motorway services  - and the return trip several times a year has to be a worse practice in my mind than allowing my brother to carry one of my firearms when he's out with me during a visit to Leicester. 

Why the eck does it need to be so complicated? I'm loathed at the thought of asking BASC to have a word but its not our fault 'they' don't know how to do it.

It seems this is needed due a policy that we are not allowed to let other people fire our guns. 

Does anyone share firearms use with someone from another force area?

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Dave I think I get you. 

You both keep your own firearms at your home address. But have the choice to use each other's while visiting without being accompanied. Sounds logical as long as the calibre are the same. 

That sums up what were initially after but we compromised when it was said to be too complicated: We therefore settled on both of us being able to use one of my rifles each while he's out with me in Leicestershire, but that too seems to be difficult so he's opted to continue doing a not best practice of carrying his rifles on 600 mile round trips with motorway service's breaks and fit a cabinet at his Leicester office. That means at any given time some or all of his rifles could be stored in Cornwall or Leicester.

This seems truly stupid in my opinion - He'll have to carry his guns if he breaks down and has to leave his car - or what if he has an accident? 

The issue could so easily have been avoided if only the procedure could be found.

He sold his .22LR and currently has HMR, 204 and 223.  I have FAC air, .22LR, HMR and 17REM so all my calibre's are less than his largest.

If I hadn't been told - quite emphatically - that it's not permisable to let another person shoot my rifles in my presence we'd not be having this issue.

I've often heard of buddies both using a rifle but we know what COULD happen if a call out ocurred while he's accompanying me and using one of my rifles - or been seen to have been.

I'll ask DavidBASC to view this thread and advise me if there is a procedure for this.

EDIT:  I don't travel down there so often - he has a spare cabinet in a spare room that I can use when visiting him.

Edited by Dave-G

They don't half like making it complicated for themselves don't they?! :rolleyes: And their 'justification' that they wouldn't know who was misusing a gun is preposterous! By that logic if someone steals one of your guns and uses it to commit a crime before you've reported it stolen then you would be the one accused of their crime as if there'd be no investigation?!

As with others a know a few people that do this but they're all in the same force area. Maybe Leicestershire and D&C have had a falling out??

Best of luck :good:

• 2 weeks later...

After the handgun ban several people I know who lived in the North West London area joined a club in Northern Ireland which they visited several times a year on a weekend fly out fly back basis.

The trouble was they wanted to buy their own pistols over there, have them entered on their Met, Herts and Thames Valley FACs and keep them in the armoury of the club in NI. Which was perfectly legal to do. The negativity and blocking tactics employed by all three police forces was incredible, eventually they got the NRA legal people involved

Sometime no is just easier to say than actually do anything