Estimated for gun repair

busdennis

This could be a “piece of string” question but I have an old lander with a value of 200 quid. It’s given great service over the years but today the bottom barrel isn’t firing. Is this going to be an economical repair at a gunsmiths or his the lander ready for the gun god in the sky?

I assume it is a Lanber. It could be a variety of faults, but broken firing pin would be high on my list or dirt in the action. Is it actually firing, but doesn't fire the shell or is it just not working at all/ Take the stock off, compressed air on the action, trigger, hammers etc. and perhaps remove the pin. Takes all of about 2 minutes. Replacement pin around a tenner.

Pins about a tenner? So where do you get them from ? Assuming of course that the pins available will fit the model in question .

Comments like this although meant to be helpful can be misleading

Possible reasons for not firing----

1 broken striker

2 single trigger fault 

3 weak mainspring

4 cartridges ,hard primers /not enough recoil to set change over

5 action not cocking fully

6 broken cocking cam spring [bits in the action causing problems ] or interfering with the cocking rod.

7 wear on the sear ends or inertia block 

8 some of the early Lanbers had an adjust screw to set the gate or play between trigger and sears that moves and needs resetting .

9 weak or broken safe spring so that it goes back on safe when fired /bits of broken spring causing problem

10 loose action/forend 

These are the main things to check as I would have done had the gun come into my workshop , as a thought and possible lead to eliminating some of the above ,have you tried shooting top bottom instead of bottom top ? have you tried shooting each barrel individually?To ascertain if it is a not firing or a not changing over ?

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed with Gunman and remember now Lanber parts are no longer available from GMK. (Well nearly all are gone now) So maybe get it looked at by a proper gunsmith who maybe might have some of the bits required. Or access from colleagues for the bits required.

Shame as these were really great guns that were very cheap to repair. Spares were very cheap. Although any competent gunsmith can make strikers and replace coil mainsprings to keep them running. It's just the other parts that are going to be expensive to make thus make you wonder is it really worth it. 

On 12/14/2017 at 21:42, Gordon R said:

I assume it is a Lanber. It could be a variety of faults, but broken firing pin would be high on my list or dirt in the action. Is it actually firing, but doesn't fire the shell or is it just not working at all/ Take the stock off, compressed air on the action, trigger, hammers etc. and perhaps remove the pin. Takes all of about 2 minutes. Replacement pin around a tenner.

Replacement "pins" or strikers cost me more than that when they were available form GMK. And that was trade plus vat. I make them now and I can't do it for a tenner if I want to pay the bills. 

Edited by Fil

I had a similar gun with unavailable parts. The first time it broke a firing pin was £50 and a few weeks for a gunsmith to sort out (he made the pin), the second time i measured it up and had one made by a chap advertising his services on ebay for £20, then fitted it myself.

If money is tight and the gun of little financial or emotional value I would be tempted to go diy, worst case scenario you can scrap it and head off to Wabbitbosher for something else. 

49 minutes ago, reggiegun said:

They look like the right ones if the OP’s gun is the same as this……http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/secondhand-gun-review-lanber-sporter

Gorden, you can still get firing pins from Peter Dyson, but they are £20 now, inflation or brexit?

Edited by old'un

On 12/27/2017 at 16:08, Gordon R said:

I don't know the current price, but two years ago they were a tenner from Peter Dyson.

I had a firing pin made and fitted for a Parker hale o/u (winchester grand european really) by Peter Dyson for £18 last year.He or his son did it for me as I am not a gunsmith and 

wanted it doing correctly so Gordon is right .

15 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I am tempted to say he is charging that price because he can.

Is that not the same with setting any price? Charge as much as you can without losing too much buisness elsewhere? If enough other people offer the same for less prices drift down, if nobody can or will compete prices go up to whatever the market will support. 

He probably has them made or makes them himself by the bushel by someone with a cnc lathe. It's great for the Lanber owners. (and other gun owners if he supplies other strikers)

That's how he can sell them for that price. As said excellent news for the diyers because GMK have mostly ran out of Lanber parts.

I however do not have that technology so I make them individually to the gun as and when one comes in. And because of this I have to charge accordingly. And I have no complaints from anyone for providing the service as not everyone wants to try and do it themselves. 

Some prefer to pay for a service than try and do it themselves.   That said, I do buy in ready made strikers from other gun importers to save the customer money. 

40 minutes ago, Fil said:

He probably has them made or makes them himself by the bushel by someone with a cnc lathe. It's great for the Lanber owners. (and other gun owners if he supplies other strikers)

That's how he can sell them for that price. As said excellent news for the diyers because GMK have mostly ran out of Lanber parts.

I however do not have that technology so I make them individually to the gun as and when one comes in. And because of this I have to charge accordingly. And I have no complaints from anyone for providing the service as not everyone wants to try and do it themselves. 

Some prefer to pay for a service than try and do it themselves.   That said, I do buy in ready made strikers from other gun importers to save the customer money. 

No, but you have the skill (the old way) and sadly these skills are disappearing fast, I can remember the old Birmingham Gun Quarter, spent many a happy hour around there in my youth, it was an hive of activity, now, sadly a former shadow of its self.

If people like you still have the skill to make and fit gun parts using rudimentary machinery, then people who need your skills should be willing to pay the going rate for such skill, although I do think the making and fitting of a gun stock is way over priced.

I fortunately do have the skills to repair my own guns, but I do appreciate your skill as my profession from leaving school at 15 was a press toolmaker, (now retired) so I know what’s involved with metal bashing.:good:

I have been doing it since leaving school too mate. Not retired yet but yes, sadly not many are following in our foot steps. I have tried three apprentices now and gave up. Being an employer/babysitter/social worker is another career I was not trained for. :lol:

If it is an ejector there is two and they are handed. I assume you mean the cocking anvil springs that tension the cocking slides in the bottom of the action to the anvils that cock the hammers.

I bought the remaining few from GMK and have a few pair left. 

On 12/16/2017 at 11:54, Gunman said:

9 weak or broken safe spring so that it goes back on safe when fired /bits of broken spring causing problem

Now just to confuse things, I have recently acquired a "Lancer" O/U and it does exactly this.  Each barrel fires, but the safety interjects itself every time.  Push safety forward again, second barrel fires.  Keeping the safety forward does not work, you must pull it back and push forward again (dry-firing snap-caps).

I tried this evening to have a look myself, but, unlike my Winchester Pump,  which I can strip down, I cannot seem to do more than break it into 3 bits, forend, barrels and stock.  I did not spend a fortune, but I thought I would get some use out of it for social shooting.

Any ideas on getting inside?  I can at least clean up inside if it is "swarf" or such.  There are no screws or or pins visible to have a go at,

Thanks, and apologies if this is hijacking the thread,

RS

21 hours ago, Gunman said:

Take the stock off . 

There is a screw under the trigger guard but I can see no way of removing the guard.

I can see a bolt(when the butt is off) but it has to be the deepest socket I have ever seen and it is 8" down inside the stock!  I feel a new set of tools coming on.  Can't believe there is not an easier way in.

Lancer.png

and on the outside:

5a57a0954cd99_Lancer1.png.bb335254befa128ceeafcc0bb92c2dfa.png

To be honest looking a a picture will only tell that its an old gun [for a Lanber]

OK when you pulled the trigger did it go click as if the hammer fell or did it just pull and nothing happens ?

If the spring guides are bent the inertia block can get caught,or drag on the spring , straiten the guides and polish the leading edge of the block shaft .

Is the inertia block fully engaging under the sears

is the safe going fully off

is the cocking rod spring return working

Check that both mainsprings are the same as these look different ,left hand one looks to be very compressed and may be preventing the gun from cocking fully 

Check the safe selector is positive so that clicks firmly from one side to the other so the block engages on both sears   and that it is not loose 

Apart from that and things already suggested  I have no idea