House got broken into

WildCamper1982

On 14/12/2017 at 20:43, WildCamper1982 said:

Just out of interest, has this happened to anyone else? Could I have objected? Is it a legal requirement to do as she stipulated? I just hope in 6 months I can get them back as it makes it a bit of a pain going out shooting especially wildfowling, luckily I have mates who I can borrow a gun for a flight when they go shooting with me or the last few months of the season would suck!

Thanks for your time

Iain 

It’s covered in the Home office guidance on the firearms act, while security is the responsibility of the certificate holder the chief officer of police must be satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm(s)/ammunition in their possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

Meaning the chief officer of police must be satisfied that your security is adequate to stop unauthorised persons accessing your firearms.

Therefore, the FEO on the chief officer of police behalf must risk assess your security by law, that bit is in the firearms act and it is also mentioned in the home office guidance.  The Chief officer of police has no choice he/she is legally obliged under the firearms act to do it if they issue you a certificate.

Therefore. if they feel the guns are at risk they have to revoke or not grant a certificate by law, however, the risk assessment can vary from force to force or  FEO to FEO.

You can certainly disagree with their findings on your security, I personally know someone who did and won based on a gun room. However, it is open to the legal interpretation of a judge as to who is right and this is the sticking point it would have to go to court for a ruling.

Whilst waiting for your day in court they have to revoke your certificate by law. Bear in mind it would cost a small fortune as cost are not normally awarded in firearm’s licences cases unless the police behaved unreasonably. Unreasonably is at the discretion of the judge and even though my friend won the judge ruled it was reasonable for the police to ask the court for a ruling.

Based on that, six months, while annoying is better than getting your certificate revoked if they stand firm.

On 14 December 2017 at 22:03, WildCamper1982 said:

I’m really sorry to hear that pal, I bet it was scary to be in that situation and hope you can move on from it ok.

ATB Iain 

Cheers mate

Its very hard to be honest , i had a alarm firm out and the advise i got was an alarm is a waste of time as it goes off when they have got in 

The best thing is a security beam as the intruders scan round outside for  a few minutes , they break the beam while looking round and this alerts you inside before they attempt to break in 

As already states, surely it’s best to do as you’ve been asked for the 6 months just in case

as for your gun cabinet, has the thieving scum seen your Cabinet? Or is it possible they have just Taken the safe without even knowing about the cabinet?

most common light fingered scum are after quick sale high value items, it’s easy to get rid of electronics etc. Guns on the other hand are high risk.

if it were me, I’d change my locks increase my security and do what the FEO asks, as long as it’s not over the top

On 14/12/2017 at 21:48, WildCamper1982 said:

Some great advise Westly, unfortunately I haven’t got a alarm but yes will certainly be getting one now! Any noise going off extra is a good deterrent and bring attention to people nearby. I do have driveway lights, 3 outside security lights and a dummy alarm box on the garage. Was going to get a dog next year too but my wife is expecting our 3rd child now so the dog idea will have to be put on hold unfortunately. 2 kids, baby in a pram and a Rhodesian I can’t see the problem?

I think I could see a problem with a Rhodesian in the pram..............however.  A question I always used to ask homeowners " Standing on your front path, imagine you have locked yourself out, now ask how you would go about getting in" ?  That has to be the first place to beef up the security !  Contact your local Police (if you feel the need ?) the Crime Prevention department will give you alarm advice etc. FREE !

On 14/12/2017 at 21:57, Neverforget said:

I caught two in my house couple months back , they left via the doors they had forced very scary stuff we heard foot steps as the dogs barked jumped out off bed ten seconds earlier and I wouldn't have been able to type this 

Police there with in five mins  must have been in the area they said couldn't have been my guns they were after as they would have carried on  more like the 4x4 ,police  did say hope that wasn't being carried about with yourself enough said on that matter 

IF these are 'French doors'  there is a clamp device that now fits over both handles to prevent the doors from opening, I think they are about £50, BUT, they require no screws etc. to fit and can be sold on if you change the doors.

2 hours ago, Neverforget said:

Cheers mate

Its very hard to be honest , i had a alarm firm out and the advise i got was an alarm is a waste of time as it goes off when they have got in 

The best thing is a security beam as the intruders scan round outside for  a few minutes , they break the beam while looking round and this alerts you inside before they attempt to break in 

NOT TRUE, there are things called 'Viper' shock detectors that I have fitted to my doors and windows, they detect any sudden shock to the frame and activate the alarm. These can be set at night, thus preventing any animals in the house from setting off the alarm. I have had these fitted at 2 properties that I have had over the last 20 years or so. In all of that time, I have had 2 false activations, both in the spring and both caused by young pigeons flying into the patio doors. I now hang some large plastic butterflies on nylon fishing line held with blue-tack, during spring/summer, problem sorted. My house alarm, if activated, rings my mobile to alert me. My Son in Law has his own alarm business, his alarm/cctv system activates his mobile and he can then view outside and inside his property to check the cause !  I still believe that a 240 volt ring fence is the answer, just have to convince our postman now !

I could never get my head around as to why people would spend£5000 or so on a holiday and baulk at paying £600 for a good alarm system that will last for years with a minimum of servicing. Nowt so strange etc..................................................

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Westley said:

I think I could see a problem with a Rhodesian in the pram..............however.  A question I always used to ask homeowners " Standing on your front path, imagine you have locked yourself out, now ask how you would go about getting in" ?  That has to be the first place to beef up the security !  Contact your local Police (if you feel the need ?) the Crime Prevention department will give you alarm advice etc. FREE !

IF these are 'French doors'  there is a clamp device that now fits over both handles to prevent the doors from opening, I think they are about £50, BUT, they require no screws etc. to fit and can be sold on if you change the doors.

There are various types but most require replacing the spindles...otherwise they just tap the spindle through and he handle drops out

http://www.safeandvaultcompany.co.uk/product/patlock-patio-french-door-security-lock/

saw aw some new ones recently can’t find the link, there are some from £20, standard cylinders are easily beaten so anything you can do to improve the security the better...

It was the Patlock that I had seen, it is a highly visual deterrent.  I heard of a local Burglary today, they had tried various doors before getting through one of them. There was no alarm fitted to the premises and apart from the door that was eventually forced, all of the patio doors were damaged and need replacement. They had self installed additional security, BUT it was NOT visible from the outside. The damage could have been prevented by VISIBLE security. The 'Viper' shock detectors have a small red led which flashes constantly. They are behind  the curtain so can not be seen from inside the room, but I can see my front lounge window viper (as opposed to a Vindscreen Viper !)  flashing from the opposite side of the road. The local burglary was during the night, whilst the premises was occupied. There was some supa dupa go faster job parked on the drive and the object of the Burglary.........................THE KEY !

I will phone the alarm company on Monday to find out wha

Just got off the phone they can't or won't tell me what sensor is fitted they did say is that they take each animal into account ant adjust the height that the beam goes to the floor and also how can the sensor calculate the weight of the animal sorry I can't give anymore info 

1 minute ago, B725 said:

I will phone the alarm company on Monday to find out wha

Just got off the phone they can't or won't tell me what sensor is fitted they did say is that they take each animal into account ant adjust the height that the beam goes to the floor and also how can the sensor calculate the weight of the animal sorry I can't give anymore info 

:good: thanks for asking