Petition NOT to ban Grouse Shooting

JJsDad

There is currently a petition doing the rounds to ban Grouse shooting. The link below is a petition NOT to ban.

Well worth the few seconds it takes to complete and then pass onto other like minded people. I should perhaps add that I am not one of the fortunate few who can afford to shoot Grouse. But if the bigots get their way and ban shooting Grouse, I leave it to you to decide where they will move to next.

Http://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205672

Edited by JJsDad

20 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Done, but can't help but think that the final sentence in the Details would have been better not said - it might not sit well with some who perhaps would otherwise have signed.

And it is for that reason I have declined to support it.

A very poorly written petition, which i fear, will do grouse shooting and shooting in general no favors.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

And it is for that reason I have declined to support it.

A very poorly written petition, which i fear, will do grouse shooting and shooting in general no favors.

I understand your views and agree it isn't well done and any 'birds of prey' comments have no place in this petition.  However I do understand the view on birds of prey in some respects,and I therefore chose to sign.

As an example, when I was young buzzards were uncommon around here.  They are now very common - so much so that it is not unusual to see double figures in the air over woods.  I don't believe this is good for various wildlife species, not just game species as they have to eat something.  Nature is (and always has been) a fine balance.  Man upsets this balance and legislation on human 'predation' is used to redress the situation - usually with positive results for some species, but often the 'balance' isn't found, so we go from a species being scarce to being over abundant - and therefore having a big impact on other species.  The key is to get back to the balance, but that is hard to do by broad brush legislation.

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I understand your views and agree it isn't well done and any 'birds of prey' comments have no place in this petition.  However I do understand the view on birds of prey in some respects,and I therefore chose to sign.

As an example, when I was young buzzards were uncommon around here.  They are now very common - so much so that it is not unusual to see double figures in the air over woods.  I don't believe this is good for various wildlife species, not just game species as they have to eat something.  Nature is (and always has been) a fine balance.  Man upsets this balance and legislation on human 'predation' is used to redress the situation - usually with positive results for some species, but often the 'balance' isn't found, so we go from a species being scarce to being over abundant - and therefore having a big impact on other species.  The key is to get back to the balance, but that is hard to do by broad brush legislation.

My own feelings are that the BOP debate is and should be completely separate.

Personally, I am minded to believe that the increase in Buzzard numbers is directly linked to the profi;oration of game birds released, thus providing an artificial food source which in turn leads to an increased Buzzard population.

I can just imagine the "spin" from those wishing to ban grouse shooting............Grouse shooters vote to persecute Birds of Prey.

As I said, a very foolishly worded petition. 

Signed this and having gone back realise there was more to that petition description than just 'Protect Grouse Shooting'. My fault for not reading through, I would not have signed had I known about those last few lines. Very poorly written and potentially damaging, especially after the recent debate.

Lesson learnt on my part, if there is a way to remove signature then let me know!

There seems to be a strong suspicion on social media, that this petition has been initiated by some animal rights group whose aims are at the moment Unknown.

As have been mentioned above, it seems very poorly worded by Jane Griggs whoever she may be.

Just to repeat, this is a suspicion on social media but it has generated much chatter.