Day old duckling

pycoed

Was out this morning feeding my flight pond & my cocker brought me back a newly dead day old mallard duckling! It was cold when she retrieved it from a pile of flag leaves in 6" of water, but I don't know if she killed it, it died of shock or was just lying there. Anyway It was quite fresh but cold. I did see two mallard mating about a month back, but I've never seen ducklings this early/late (delete as appropriate) before. I'd be interested if anyone else has seen them about? We did have about 5 days of decent frosts last week so it's doubly surprising to me since some winters we hardly get a frost at all (low altitude in Loughor valley).

I regulary see day old ducklings at this time of year on our village pond. If the food is available in sufficent amounts the hens build up body condition and breed. Fortunetly there is not usually enough  food in the wild for this to happen at this time of year  , but global warming who knows. I felt remorse  last week when I shot a very young mallard ( less than 3 months old ) out of a flock flying high on the foreshore.

My wife was mortified & I am now under strict instructions to shoot only drakes! I hadn't seen the mother or siblings about, but I try to keep clear of the ponds except for feeding. I.m not aware of anyone else feeding flight ponds inside a mile or two but its only 4-5ml as the duck flies to Penclacwydd (WWF site) where there are tons of grain fed every day. It's just strange I've never seen ducklings in the season before...