Gotta love a charity shop.

Lord Geordie

Well today saw me once again taking through around 9 charity shops looking for some vintage decorations for the tree! Today I got the motherload. 

I have been searching for vintage mercury glass baubles for the Christmas tree! And today was a good day to search. I walked away with 15 in total, the majority "around 10" being perhaps early 1970s but also found two Nordic concave baubles (my all time favourite) and a few early 50s tear drop baubles too. The whole lot for under £4. :yahoo:

i passed a market stall selling some old tree lights too "the old C9 type" but these were the more modern transformer chaser light type" but with no transformer, and no inclination of the voltage needed :hmm: I left them. It really would have been fantastic at £4 for those! But I really want the old coloured lacquer screw in C9 or C6 type with the old green twin flex instead. I found some in the Netherlands but they were £50 for a set of 20 lights. Maybe next time I will just buy them and be done with it.  

But today the charity shops came up trumps. You can't beat a good rummage :yes:

14 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Well today saw me once again taking through around 9 charity shops looking for some vintage decorations for the tree! Today I got the motherload. 

I have been searching for vintage mercury glass baubles for the Christmas tree! And today was a good day to search. I walked away with 15 in total, the majority "around 10" being perhaps early 1970s but also found two Nordic concave baubles (my all time favourite) and a few early 50s tear drop baubles too. The whole lot for under £4. :yahoo:

i passed a market stall selling some old tree lights too "the old C9 type" but these were the more modern transformer chaser light type" but with no transformer, and no inclination of the voltage needed I left them. It really would have been fantastic at £4 for those! But I really want the old coloured lacquer screw in C9 or C6 type with the old green twin flex instead. I found some in the Netherlands but they were £50 for a set of 20 lights. Maybe next time I will just buy them and be done with it.  

But today the charity shops came up trumps. You can't beat a good rummage

a picture paints a thousand words, lets see it

1 hour ago, Lord Geordie said:

i passed a market stall selling some old tree lights too "the old C9 type" but these were the more modern transformer chaser light type" but with no transformer, and no inclination of the voltage needed I left them. It really would have been fantastic at £4 for those! But I really want the old coloured lacquer screw in C9 or C6 type with the old green twin flex instead. I found some in the Netherlands but they were £50 for a set of 20 lights. Maybe next time I will just buy them and be done with it.  

But today the charity shops came up trumps. You can't beat a good rummage

Nice to know a little bit of luck is finally on your side .

Merry Christmas to you and your lad .

37 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

I’m liking those, classics. I’m going to have a look in my parents loft now you’ve set me off. I might be in luck?

Charity shops are an excellent way to raise money for charities and you can find some real bargains.
Some years ago a friend of mine bought a full length wool and alpaca Loden coat with a matching shoulder cape for £12.50
I bought a Morlands sheepskin jacket fo£15.00 in perfect condition.

It seems that the charity shops in the residential areas of the country have a rather better selection of quality goods.
The larger concerns have got wise now and I see that such as Oxfam use Ebay to move the more desirable and valuable items

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

The joys of childhood? but the hands on that watch are confusing me

The minute hand needs staked and broached to fit the arbour again as it is too loose a fit and just falls off. I also need to source a second hand for it too l, and some enamel repair powder for the chip in the face. But it's solid silver and seems to run just fine. So very pleased with that. 

Edited by Lord Geordie

15 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

The minute hand needs staked and broached to fit thecatbour again as it is too loose a fit and just falls off. I also need to source a second hand too l, and some enamel repair powder for the chip in the face. But it's solid silver and seems to run just fine. So very pleased with that. 

Will you be looking for a second hand second hand or a new one?

21 minutes ago, VULTURE said:

Hi. I found a peep hole rifle sight today in a charity shop, paid a quid for it. They didn’t know what it was.

I’m sure there’s a comedy sketch or at least a good gag in that statement :lol:

i found a peephole sight in a charity shop for a pound :hmm::whistling: