Laptop help please

Lampwick

Hi folks, I'm looking at buying my son (10) a laptop for Christmas and am completely baffled!

He will be using it for homework and Internet surfing (he's not a gamer) 

Ive noted previous comments regarding, speed, ram, ssd, but don't really know what the heck that's all about!!

My budget is circa £200 and I would prefer a new one rather than refurbished but would consider one.  

Ideally I would like a "get this one, it's great" comment!

Any help appreciated.

ps would it be better to wait for the post Christmas sales?

Got my daughter one of these, and she's extremely happy with it, it's fast, great battery life and a good screen. 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6747075?storeID=4147&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598756200|agid:24290293370|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-278025132660|crid:86846330570|nw:g|rnd:15078639745509976694|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9046404&gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo36DQyMaCTrB6aB_LU1xg_eePtqiehJprydHY6uhx4Ms9Wxgl9g2IthoCfGgQAvD_BwE

It doesn't have a very big hard drive, but you can expand with SD card or stick. 

It's in Tesco too. 

Edited by Rewulf

You could go chrome book the modern ones are small light and have usb slots to use memory sticks etc update themselves and use google docs online. We have a one that's four years old now and my wife loves it and uses it more than the i pad which now sits redundant. Lad at work has one he paid £150.00 at John Lewis Little silver one nice and light to carry around. Wife may get treated to one soon<as the battery ain't that great on our old chromebook now

I wouldn't get anything less than 4gb ram, even if you're not doing anything particularly taxing. I'd say safely disregard hdd capacity, most are decent size these days and if not you have cloud storage/external drive options. Biggest question (arguably bigger impact on peformance than a processor) is ssd or not. I'm having the same debate now, looking to get my Mum one - I'm going to opt to keep to below the 280 budget and give the ssd a miss. I'm a developer so for me it's a must but typically the newer drives are fine anyway and fast enough for bog standard tasks. I'll let you know which one I buy tomorrow, it'll be from Currys, sounds like we're after a similar spec.

• 2 months later...