Over choked?

BaikalsRule90

Hi guys

I shoot sporting with an mk38 trap with 3/4 and full choke. I dont really struggle with closer targets but would it be worth it getting it opened up a bit? To say like half and half? Just thinking if im slightly off i might just crack the target in half etc. On the other hand i like seeing where ive broke a target at range, im worried with half choke the target will just break the first time and then miss even though the same forward allowance/line ect...... is applied.

Does anyone else shoot competitions with this combination? Or should i just stick to what im confident with? Ive never had much faith in open chokes. Nor do i want multichokes as its more to think about.

Cheers any help appreciated. ?

Your last paragraph about sums it up. And there too is your answer. 

If your shooting ok with it leave it be. Because if you start messing with it , your then be thinking hmmm did I miss that cos my chokes are not tight enough. 

Just concentrate on your shooting and  stop doubting yourself. 

Oh and stop being a pussy. There’s nothing you can’t do with that combination...

myself as a competitive trap shooter I to use a similar choke combination as you do. Today after a practice ABT session with a couple of mates we went for a couple of rounds of Skeet with the Trap guns for a bit of a giggle. all scores were 22/23/24 .with some serious balls of dust  ? 

in the picture from left to right 

beretta 692 fixed choke 3/4 + full 

prazzi high tec fixed choke 3/4 + full 

beretta DT 11 trap fixed choke 3/4 + full ( My comp gun  )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a13vo7hzhig069m/Photo 16-12-2017%2C 11 20 05.jpg?dl=0

Edited by stevo

33 minutes ago, stevo said:

Your last paragraph about sums it up. And there too is your answer. 

If your shooting ok with it leave it be. Because if you start messing with your then be thinking hmmm did I miss that cos my chokes are not tight enough. 

Just concentrate on your shooting and  stop doubting yourself. 

Oh and stop being a pussy. There’s nothing you can’t do with that combination. 

Spot on advice. 

Nothing wrong with tight chokes, if it works for you - stick with it. 

Edited by Me matt

I use to shoot full/full (well, even extra full, technically) and I found the only targets I was struggling with were rabbits. I there was a bump, I'd miss. It used to be my least favourite target. Otherwise, I could shoot full/full all day, I even did my very first 25 at skeet with my full/full trap gun...

Now I shoot 3/4 for training, and 1/2 if the score matters. Oh and 1/4 1/4 on that farm shoot nearby where you could break the clays by whacking them with the end of the gun ;-)

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. The one joy of being able to change chokes is you can fiddle around until you find the one that suits the cartridge you use, then leave it alone.

OK, not clays shooting but I ran some pattern tests on my 410 with initially Fiocchi 3 inch using full/full, then I had to load some fibres for use on one shoot and found they threw tighter patterns than the Fiocchis so changed to the #2 choke tubes and have now shot them for five or six days and can honestly say have not noticed any difference.  If your hitting your share of clays then leave the gun as is and just try to improve your performance.

Edited by Walker570

Last year I was tackling sporting clays skeet and quarter, changed this year to quarter and half and noticed a marked improvement on longer birds. On the croft we can recover missed clays to use again as the ground tends to be soft as it's covered in soft rush which undoubtedly helps with landing survival.

When picking thrown clays it's interesting to note that very many have been chipped but haven't broken, even found one whole with three holes in it. For christmas I've bought myself another half choke and plan to start shooting half and half. Reasoning is; I can hit everything I'm hitting with the quarter with the half.

I like buze's idea of using 3/4 for practice, so once I've settled into half & half I'll make a point of trying a few practice rounds half & 3/4 and see how I get on. 

I looked at the photo and all I saw was one gun sat between a couple of trenching spades :innocent::whistling::lol::lol:

nice wood on that DT11

leave your gun alone and use smaller shot like Skeet nines for close targets if your bothered by cracking them. You should get better breaks with the small shot. Also go for a piston wad in plastic or fiber wad 

On 21/12/2017 at 14:29, figgy said:

I looked at the photo and all I saw was one gun sat between a couple of trenching spades 

nice wood on that DT11

leave your gun alone and use smaller shot like Skeet nines for close targets if your bothered by cracking them. You should get better breaks with the small shot. Also go for a piston wad in plastic or fiber wad 

Just out of curiosity have you got any examples of carts brands that have piston wads?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are shooting well leave it alone, I shoot 3/4 and 3/4 on clays and extra full on live pigeons, I get told its all in my head but my score goes down if my chokes do!! Mungler shoots 3/8 and 3/8 and smashes everything even at range!!!

I shot an 88 ex 96 on sunday and even hit ALL the rabbits!!! (for a change), so Im happy with 3/4 and 3/4!! I will go up to full and full at the masters for rangey stuff

Edited by Evil Elvis