Lwb frontera

AberFowl

The early models were poor, but 2002-2003 2.0 tdi (Olympus) were good value for money, off road ability very good (with the right tyres) I bought a new Olympus 2.2 tdi 2003, sold it back in April of this year, it was my shooting wagon, used off road a lot and never got stuck, in the 14+ years of ownership the only running cost were service parts, they are not the most refined of vehicles but I loved mine and you can get loads of stuff in them, just make sure its got some service history with it.

Also check any advisories on the vehicle….https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/   

P.S. if you need any parts this is your man (James), he is very knowledgeable, give him a call, there’s not a lot he does not know about these vehicles… http://fronterashop.co.uk/

Edited by old'un

I had one for three years, towing a big box trailer - for my lads' motocross bikes. Better than the Discovery, which preceded it. Better drive, far more economical and quicker. Fine - in four wheel drive - pulling well over a ton across a muddy field.

Seal failure around injectors is not common, but does happen. Brake lines are a pig to replace, if they get rusty - convoluted route, through box sections, so I am told. Mine were okay, but MOT tester passed on his pearl of wisdom. One of the lowest cost maintenance vehicles I have owned.

The early ones were poor, but 1998 onwards are very underrated.

My youngest had a 2.2 petrol - brisk, but thirsty.

Edited by Gordon R

1 hour ago, sharpeshooter60 said:

ive got a 1998 2.5tds,ive had it 12years now and its never let me down,its the bmw [vm]

Good engines the VM used in many vehicles powerful and quite economical for what they are.

Fronteras got a bad pres the watchdog tv show used them as a staple diet for a long time, and when yo throw enough around some will stck, truth is they were never as bad as claimed and in fact the old 1990s isuzu  2.8 diesel engined lwb fronteras were very reliable. 

Edited by lancer425

Rust rust and more rust. Sills, wheel arches, and anywhere else the salty winter spray can get in. I looked at several last year and gave up in the end because I couldn't find a non rotten one. I think the later engines are good and parts are cheap, off road they hold their own. Ended up getting terrano instead and I think it was a much better choice.

On 12/23/2017 at 17:18, adzyvilla said:

Rust rust and more rust. Sills, wheel arches, and anywhere else the salty winter spray can get in. I looked at several last year and gave up in the end because I couldn't find a non rotten one. I think the later engines are good and parts are cheap, off road they hold their own. Ended up getting terrano instead and I think it was a much better choice.

Terrano is a much better option!!!!!!!

The Terano by comparison is slow ,and thirsty. 

Frontera faults, the Speedo etc not working without the lights on, air leaks in the vacuum system which can cause a multitude of faults with the turbo the four wheel drive system and general engine management. Swirl valves getting clogged, egr getting clogged, Heater matrix leaking or has been bypassed because it leaks, general corrosion to the rear chassis area and the rear wheel arch the sill which often fails an mot test due to its proximity to the seat belt anchor points. The later engine also suffered issues with an electronic throttle position sensor in the inlet manifold which can be reasonably costly to fix. Extra keys are about £180. On the plus side the frontys are fun to drive off road, have a reasonable acceleration and return about 30 - 35 mpg.

I picked one up last summer for 700 quid with three months test on it, it's been great.

1.The sills can be rotten around the bottom of the rear wheel arches.

2.The speedo electrics can be a big hit and miss.

Other than that mine has been fine, had to rebuild the brakes, but it's returning 35mpg. Better value than a Disco or Freelander in my opinion. More practical than a SIII which is what I was considering (I've had a few of these over the years).

Mine has the 2.2 Opel diesel in it which was fitted to the Saab's. There was one with a Isuzu diesel in it which is sought after.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Total pile of **** **** your money up the wall you will get more benefit out of it.

I guess if they were that bad there would be none left on the road.

I once got told a skoda was a heap of **** and not worth touching...myne did well and cost very very little for the 4years I thrashed it around

Time will tell

Edited by AberFowl