.410 clays

Ultrastu

Mate and I took our .410s up a small clay shoot this morning .it only has 5 traps in the woods. But has some tricky targets flitting through the trees .

Our. .410s are moderated .mine an add on single shot .his a baikal fully modded single .to be fair jd  has only just got his and struggled a bit at first but finished the session strong breaking 3 or 4 in a row .having found where the gun was shooting .

Mine ive had a while and has done well on crows and pige .So I was confident .

My hit rate today was around 85 % possibly a bit higher .the last 15 clays I only missed 2. .

This was very satisfying to break clays with this little pop gun as a crowd of 12b shooters stood behind watching 

Some of who struggled to connect with the clays .

A very pleasing morning and a massive confidence booster in the gun and cal .

Cheers walker .was telling my mate  about how you shoot pheasants with your .410 and do very well .

I had the shoot owner / guy running it .come up to me after I dusted the last lot of clays .say. how he started on a.410 but moved up to a 12b and never looked back .

I replied .Well most long term accomplished shooters do start on .410 but eventually come back to them when they have learnt to shoot properly .;) 

Still looking for a 18 + grm no 7.5 fibre cart  to go through my .410 

I was shooting no 6 and no5 today 

Have a look at the Folkestone Engineering load. That is the one I use.  It works with 6s and 7s, so 7.5s(Continental 8s) should not be a problem .  Just pattern them at your chosen average range, I use 35yrds to see what choke suits them best. I came down from full/full to half/half compared to my plastic wad loads. Well the no 2 marked choke tube out of the three supplied.  measuring the weight of shot which just comes to where a good crimp on the Fiocchi cases works, the weight is 18.2. Only three or four more pellets would make it 19 so little difference.  Throws a clean compact 20 inch pattern in the centre of a 30 inch circle, which is where I want it  If the bird is in the pattern it will fold. I was on the edges of the action yesterday so only shot nine birds and a jay. Had one runner, about average with any gauge.  I believe the jay was out at 40yrds ish.

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one Stu.

Final drive yesterday. I killed six good pheasants with my Yilditz 'pop gun' over the trees. 18grms of #7s over a  powder card and 12mm felt wad, 19.7g of SP3. 

Probably 30 yarders, pattern at that range 30 inches half choke. 

Sp3 seems a bit high, maybe 0.97 grams?

On 17/12/2017 at 15:16, Ultrastu said:

Cheers walker .was telling my mate  about how you shoot pheasants with your .410 and do very well .

I had the shoot owner / guy running it .come up to me after I dusted the last lot of clays .say. how he started on a.410 but moved up to a 12b and never looked back .

I replied .Well most long term accomplished shooters do start on .410 but eventually come back to them when they have learnt to shoot properly . 

Still looking for a 18 + grm no 7.5 fibre cart  to go through my .410 

I was shooting no 6 and no5 today 

Closest available are Eley Magnum no 7 18g.