Licence for ducks etc

getthegat

Possibly a silly question, but can I shoot wildfowl, mallards, teal, Canada's etc or do I need a specific licence. One of my shoots has a marsh on the edge of it which leads into a decent size tidal river. I've just discovered it has an attraction for ducks and geese. I know I need steel shot, but can I legally shoot the above birds? It would seem to be a waiting game, with a large element of luck, not at all like pigeons or corvid shooting, but on a nice crisp morning, with warm thermals, gloves etc it has a certain appeal and the dog seems to like sitting watching the local wildlife fly by as well. She's getting a coat for Christmas ?

1 minute ago, motty said:

No license required. You would obviously need permission if you were wanting to shoot on the marsh.

Correct 

Unlike our neck of the woods Motty there is plenty of Private Marsh's around there also the Swale Medway and Thames estuary KWA ain't got it ALL yet :lol:

KWA? Lost me on that one. The farmer is ok with me shooting said wildfowl and I'd hope to get them flighting over the fields rather than the marsh. Not sure if the dog will retrieve from water yet, she's only just started retrieving pigeons. If I was to move into the marsh (bogg, aka toilet; yeah I get that one) would I need permission from some other body? Also is a long barrelled heavy choked gun preferable? I have a Franchi Affinity with interchangeable chokes but only 27" barrel, always thought "duck guns" were 36" monsters?

Edited by getthegat
Incorrect spelling

14 minutes ago, getthegat said:

KWA? Lost me on that one. The farmer is ok with me shooting said wildfowl and I'd hope to get them flighting over the fields rather than the marsh. Not sure if the dog will retrieve from water yet, she's only just started retrieving pigeons. If I was to move into the marsh (bogg, aka toilet; yeah I get that one) would I need permission from some other body? Also is a long barrelled heavy choked gun preferable? I have a Franchi Affinity with interchangeable chokes but only 27" barrel, always thought "duck guns" were 36" monsters?

Any 12b will do the job providing its steel proofed and you dont want too much choke for steel or you will wreck your gun.

29 minutes ago, getthegat said:

No permission required if  land is not on  an SSSI.

Edited by lancer425

Getthegat.

KWA is Kent Wildfowlers Association. Who have a rep for taking Shooting it was in know way a Dig at yourself in fact totally the opposite. Just be careful posting where and what you have.

As for Gun's i shoot 90% of Inland Geese and Duck with a 1oz Steel through a 20ga. My advice use the Gun you shoot with Best :good:

Be wary about letting your dog have long water retrieves if he has never swum before. Its best done when the weather is warm , but get your dog used to splashing about in shallow water first. The first long swim in icy clod water may put him off water for life unless he is used to it.

Great advice, many many thanks. Duly noted 6.5x55SE about the where and what, I can be a bit too open and trusting or should that be dim? And anser2 I wont be letting Sophie go diving into an icy cold smelly old marsh, with who knows what sort of sticky mud or hidden debris and if she goes home in a mess the missus would kick us both back out into the cold. She seems to have no issues with water, but not being a water dog breed, she soon gets cold and I'm too much of a softy where she's concerned. Didn't know about the tight choke thing with steel shot, more great info. I'm thinking of 32gram #4 with my Franchi or perhaps bring out my sxs AYA. Cheers again. Oh! Anyone got a couple of duck decoys going cheap ??

10 hours ago, getthegat said:

Great advice, many many thanks. Duly noted 6.5x55SE about the where and what, I can be a bit too open and trusting or should that be dim? And anser2 I wont be letting Sophie go diving into an icy cold smelly old marsh, with who knows what sort of sticky mud or hidden debris and if she goes home in a mess the missus would kick us both back out into the cold. She seems to have no issues with water, but not being a water dog breed, she soon gets cold and I'm too much of a softy where she's concerned. Didn't know about the tight choke thing with steel shot, more great info. I'm thinking of 32gram #4 with my Franchi or perhaps bring out my sxs AYA. Cheers again. Oh! Anyone got a couple of duck decoys going cheap ??

If you are in Leigh on Sea, then join that club which is part of KWA. You may well have permission on the land, but the marsh might be part of Leigh's land.

You seem new to it so learn the quarry first and joining the Leigh Wildfowlers will help with that.

4 hours ago, Penelope said:

If it's not Leigh's ground and you have permission from the land owner, I would be happy to come along(with dog, no gun) and give you some pointers? You are only down the road from me.

Good offer Paul, I was going to offer my services if not. Not that my services would be good to anybody :lol:

Edited by landy george

It would take some proof and is picky, but been there before with a non shooting boundry and was told by BASC at the time, all projectiles fired from your land should terminate fall inside your boundry, which if you have dealings with any rifle is obvious. So this is possibly what he is pointing towards.

5 hours ago, Konnie said:

It would take some proof and is picky, but been there before with a non shooting boundry and was told by BASC at the time, all projectiles fired from your land should terminate fall inside your boundry, which if you have dealings with any rifle is obvious. So this is possibly what he is pointing towards.

:good: