Easy squirrel feeder ideas

16BoreFan

I made a very simple feeder out of scrap that I found lying about.

I cut a length of drain pipe.

Found an old peanut feeder that happened to be a ball shape.(can buy off internet for £4 new or just use right sized mesh)

Drilled holes right through one end of the pipe. Used a threaded rod and nuts to fasten peanut feeder onto pipe.

Drilled holes in other end of pipe. Fencing wire through holes to hang from tree.

Paint tin lid as a top.

Basically, peanuts are in pipe and fed by gravity to peanut feeder. 

Probably easier and quicker to make than it is to describe. Pm if you want pictures, tried to upload pics but not working.

Bonus is that the songbirds love it and the length of pipe you use determines how long the nuts last. 

I set up a wooden hinged feeder at the same time and it's been wrecked by tree rats already plus birds don't benefit as much from that type.

Edited by stuartyboy

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

I've only been up a few times shooting since I set it up, think I've shot around 20 over 4 or 5 visits. Usually fill it once  week and sit out watching the birds feed

Can't argue with that great going, Suburban shooters favourite thing to say is that your sucking them in from all around you. ? 

Aye its interesting to watch the squirrels come from a distance to it, can come a long way.

Had trailcams up before but they tend to go missing. Left a trap underneath the feeder for a few hours one day. Came back to find it destroyed, had been trampled on. Its not a busy wood either, might see one person walking near by occasionally but not often. Luckily they seem to leave the feeders, hopefully they appreciate the good its  doing for the smaller birds.

Hoping to get a few more before I add my tally to the running total at the end of the month.