Coast to Coast

Richie10

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:14, motty said:

Praise indeed!

Today I finally got round to watching the new coast to coast d v d , having giving up a days shooting due to a dose of flue , this was either going to cheer me up or make me worse than I am feeling.

I have got all his fowling ones , some I would watch again and the others, once would more or less be enough.

This latest one wasn't the best but I still found it entertaining and well worth watching .

It shows how at club level how hard it is now to attract new members when a club like the Fenland W A have vacancies for new members , the club have more history and folklore than most of the clubs in the U K , surely , if you are into wildfowling and live within a sensible distance , where are you going to find better ground to shoot over than the Washes , alright it do involve plenty of exercise but that make it more rewarding when the bag have got some weight in it when you are on the way home.

One or two questions if you don't mind as long as it don't involve club rules .

Was the washes where you had a dream flight , club land or private .?

If club land , what ( if any ) restrictions are there.

P S ..... I thought the sunrise in the film was something else , truly stunning .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Today I finally got round to watching the new coast to coast d v d , having giving up a days shooting due to a dose of flue , this was either going to cheer me up or make me worse than I am feeling.

I have got all his fowling ones , some I would watch again and the others, once would more or less be enough.

This latest one wasn't the best but I still found it entertaining and well worth watching .

It shows how at club level how hard it is now to attract new members when a club like the Fenland W A have vacancies for new members , the club have more history and folklore than most of the clubs in the U K , surely , if you are into wildfowling and live within a sensible distance , where are you going to find better ground to shoot over than the Washes , alright it do involve plenty of exercise but that make it more rewarding when the bag have got some weight in it when you are on the way home.

One or two questions if you don't mind as long as it don't involve club rules .

Was the washes where you had a dream flight , club land or private .?

If club land , what ( if any ) restrictions are there.

P S ..... I thought the sunrise in the film was something else , truly stunning .

MM.

The flight on the washes was on FWA land. It is one of 8 washes that we have to shoot, and obviously a good stretch of foreshore, too.

The only restrictions on the washes that come to mind are the number of guns per day, and on some, how many days a week they can be shot.

Edited by motty

10 hours ago, motty said:

MM.

The flight on the washes was on FWA land. It is one of 8 washes that we have to shoot, and obviously a good stretch of foreshore, too.

The only restrictions on the washes that come to mind are the number of guns per day, and on some, how many days a week they can be shot.

Thanks for your reply , a truly amazing place that would tick all the boxes plus a few more besides.

One of my highlights a few years back was when I walked down from the bridge to a open day that Mr Joel ?at the East Lighthouse held for some charity to do with wildfowl habitat . What a lovely chap , he invited me into his house as if I was part of his family , I had a free hand to look around and I recognised several items that were on the Fenland W A  d v d , such as the lintel that Peter Scott carved some geese on it .

As I had a little time left after I said my goodbyes I walked around the corner for half a mile and I knew if I had been more local this place would have took some beating and I would have been hooked for life.

To finish my day off I had ten minutes sitting on the bench that was commissioned for Frank Harrison who had recently passed away , all in all it was a day I would never forget , well worth the seven hour bus journey and one of the advantages of having a bus pass :good:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Thanks for your reply , a truly amazing place that would tick all the boxes plus a few more besides.

One of my highlights a few years back was when I walked down from the bridge to a open day that Mr Joel ?at the East Lighthouse held for some charity to do with wildfowl habitat . What a lovely chap , he invited me into his house as if I was part of his family , I had a free hand to look around and I recognised several items that were on the Fenland W A  d v d , such as the lintel that Peter Scott carved some geese on it .

As I had a little time left after I said my goodbyes I walked around the corner for half a mile and I knew if I had been more local this place would have took some beating and I would have been hooked for life.

To finish my day off I had ten minutes sitting on the bench that was commissioned for Frank Harrison who had recently passed away , all in all it was a day I would never forget , well worth the seven hour bus journey and one of the advantages of having a bus pass :good:

I have never been inside the lighthouse, although I have been past it on numerous occasions. I normally give Frank's seat a tap with my stick and say good morning, as I walk by.

37 minutes ago, motty said:

I have never been inside the lighthouse, although I have been past it on numerous occasions. I normally give Frank's seat a tap with my stick and say good morning, as I walk by.

A very nice tribute , I am sure if he could would have wished you all the best.

I did hear the new people who took the Lighthouse on were going to make it into tea rooms with a little museum , having said that , I haven't heard anything about it opening since . 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

A very nice tribute , I am sure if he could would have wished you all the best.

I did hear the new people who took the Lighthouse on were going to make it into tea rooms with a little museum , having said that , I haven't heard anything about it opening since . 

They've done next to nothing with it, I don't think we're even allowed in to maintain our sign thats just inside the fence!

53 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

They've done next to nothing with it, I don't think we're even allowed in to maintain our sign thats just inside the fence!

That's a shame , a very iconic building , even more so for the wildfowling fraternity .

Good luck with your new job , new house and most of all with your new addition when he / she arrives .

3 hours ago, B725 said:

I know it's moving away from the op but regarding the bench done for Frank was anything done for Sid Wright having been out shooting with both I had a lot of time for them 

I knew Sid fairly well. I think he had a bit of a falling out with the club a few years back.

5 hours ago, motty said:

You may remember, I stuck a primary feather from my first foreshore pink, courtesy of you, muncher and Guy into a gap in the bench as we walked back.